RE: Museum's use of City Room Tax question

Bobbie Erdmann (bobbiee@centurytel.net)
Wed, 16 May 2018 13:51:26 -0500

From: "Bobbie Erdmann" <bobbiee@centurytel.net>
Subject: RE: Museum's use of City Room Tax question
Date: Wed, 16 May 2018 13:51:26 -0500

The Berlin Area Historical Society receives a grant from the city each year.

We do not share in the City Room Tax (isn't that much with only 1 motel in town).

We do keep a record of visitors to our museums, both local and out of the city/state,

and report that to the City Council at budget time to show that we do contribute to the

tourism dollars.

Bobbie Erdmann

  _____

From: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu
[mailto:localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu] On Behalf Of JANET IRENE SEYMOUR Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2018 12:35 PM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: Fwd: Museum's use of City Room Tax question

_____________________________ From: tomahmuseum@charter.net Sent: Monday, May 14, 2018 4:37 PM Subject: Museum's use of City Room Tax To: JANET IRENE SEYMOUR <janet.seymour@wisconsinhistory.org>

Janet,

Would you please send this out to the other Historical Societies and Museum's in the State?

How many of you are receiving funds from your city's Room Tax? (which is supposed to be used only by non-profits and to be used exclusively for tourism)

We are building a new museum and it was suggested that we should approach our City Council to see if we could obtain a share of the City's Room Tax. We we turned down, as was the local Area Community Theatre who also asked for funding for their building project. We we told that 51% of our expenses had to go directly for tourism and that we did not fit that category according to State Statues and do not qualify according to our City Administrator, the City Council immediately voted us both down. The City Chamber of Commerce Tourism and Vistor's bureau gets the entire amount each month.

Thanks for you comments.

Jim