Re: Museum's use of City Room Tax question

onthelake2@tds.net
Fri, 18 May 2018 10:22:09 -0400 (EDT)

Date: Fri, 18 May 2018 10:22:09 -0400 (EDT)
From: "onthelake2@tds.net" <onthelake2@tds.net>
Subject: Re: Museum's use of City Room Tax question

Roy,

Thanks for all of that insight! Helpful stuff.....

Greg Loescher Iola Historical Society

----- Original Message ----- From: Roy Ostenso <ostensor@sbcglobal.net> To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Sent: Fri, 18 May 2018 08:46:05 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: Museum's use of City Room Tax question

Regarding Room TAX.I served on the Tourism Commission for the City of Menomonie for 10 years. Over this time the State Statute governing room tax has evolved to its present form (I have been off the commission since January, so there may have been other changes). The Statute is very clear on how the collected room tax can be spent. First the local government units (or collection of units) can keep 30% for the general fund. The balance is usually controlled by a government formed Commission. This "Tourism" Commission can directly spend or award all or part of the remainder to a qualified Destination Marketing Organization (DMO) , such as a Chamber of Commerce or Convention and Visitors Bureau (CVB). While the Statute has many details the fundamental purpose is the following statement.The Statute states this 70% portion of the money has to be spend on the promotion and development of tourism with the likelihood of increasing overnight stays. Generally this means one day events would not qualify. However, there is many interpretations of " the promotion and development of tourism ... ." What is development and what is promotion? I liked to define development as the process and activities which will likely increase overnight stays in the future. Whereas promotion will likely increase overnight stays more immediately. For example, it is generally conceded expenditures enhancing the visitor experience (directional signage, banners, etc) qualifies as development. Supporting a two day event would qualify as an acceptable promotion expenditure. Further, the statute only allows room tax money to fund a convention center or visitor center. The local government's 30% could be. In Menomonie the city award an annual stipend to the Mabel Tainter Center for the Arts for the general fund. Without the 30% from the room tax they may not be as generous. BTW, some communities were grand-fathered in on their existing distribution percentages. However, they all had to eventually change to the 30/70 formula. In Menomonie the Chamber is contracted to be the tourism entity (DMO). They do give grants to local groups for events and other tourism related activities. Contact Jody Hagmann for more information. The Dept of Tourism could give you more information. The Wisconsin Hotel & Lodging Association is another source.I strongly suggest historical societies trying to promote visitors their museum attend the annual Wisconsin Governor's Conference on Tourism (WisGOT), https://eventegg.com/wigcot/.

Roy Ostenso 715-505-1110

From: FAHP <fahp@centurytel.net> To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2018 3:07 PM Subject: Re: Museum's use of City Room Tax question

We aren't receiving funds from the city's room tax. I'm guessing that our county tourism coalition receives it.Joanie McKeown,Burnett County Historical Societyat Forts Folle Avoine Historical ParkFrom: "Seymour, Janet I - WHS" <janet.seymour@wisconsinhistory.org>To: >To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.eduSent: Tuesday, May 15, 2018 12:35:29 PMSubject: Fwd: Museum's use of City Room Tax question_____________________________ From: tomahmuseum@charter.net Sent: Monday, May 14, 2018 4:37 PM Subject: Museum's use of City Room Tax To: JANET IRENE SEYMOUR <janet.seymour@wisconsinhistory.org>Janet, Would you please send this out to the other Historical Societies and Museum's in the State?How many of you are receiving funds from your city's Room Tax? (which is supposed to be used only by non-profits and to be used exclusively for tourism)We are building a new museum and it was suggested that we should approach our City Council to see if we could obtain a share of the City's Room Tax. We we turned down, as was the local Area Community Theatre who also asked for funding for their building
 project. We we told that 51% of our expenses had to go directly for tourism and that we did not fit that category according to State Statues and do not qualify according to our City Administrator, the City Council immediately voted us both down. The City
 Chamber of Commerce Tourism and Vistor's bureau gets the entire amount each month. Thanks for you comments.Jim