RE: How do you manage your grounds?

slahsinc (slahsinc@yahoo.com)
Mon, 11 Jun 2018 18:03:04 -0500

Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2018 18:03:04 -0500
Subject: RE: How do you manage your grounds?
From: slahsinc <slahsinc@yahoo.com>

Well...when we had the Old Depot property, we hired a person to mow the lawn. We took turns pulling weeds. One or two of us would shovel the walk, when the other person passed, then just me. Now...we sold the landlocked property, and donated the depot building to the Village. Then we took the proceeds and purchased a lease on a suite, in a new building, more than double our old building, for 50 year term. No maintenance outside, only vacuum the carpet and dust! MikeSLAHS in Sussex

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S® 6, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Rita Frakes <rita42@centurytel.net> Date: 6/11/18 4:44 PM (GMT-06:00) To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: RE: How do you manage your grounds?

The village of Mazomanie owns the building that houses our society’s museum.  The village takes care of snow removal and lawn mowing and pays for water and electricity.

A member volunteer has taken on the task of landscaping a large bank facing the parking lot and providing perennials from his own extensive gardens.  The society paid for hose, hose cart, etc for watering. He maintains the spaces and gets mulch provided by the village.

3 other member/volunteers provide and plant annuals in 5 urns on the grounds, water, and oversee them through fall.

In the spring the “urn planters” are contacted to see if they want to do that again and they usually do.  We had a long time urn/planter that wanted to discontinue the task which was very reasonable.  We happened to have a new board member that year who is quite the gardener and stepped right up because she loves plants and gardening.

About 3 years ago the society had an outdoor faucet installed to make the watering issue an easier chore.

Rita Frakes, Curator

www.mazomaniehistory.org.