WWI Speaker @ Mt Horeb Historium, Sat, Aug 18: Moving-Going During the Great War 💥

Destinee Udelhoven (destineekae@hotmail.com)
Fri, 17 Aug 2018 09:43:42 +0000

From: Destinee Udelhoven <destineekae@hotmail.com>
Subject: =?utf-8?B?V1dJIFNwZWFrZXIgQCBNdCBIb3JlYiBIaXN0b3JpdW0sIFNhdCwgQXVnIDE4?= =?utf-8?B?OiBNb3ZpbmctR29pbmcgRHVyaW5nIHRoZSBHcmVhdCBXYXLCoPCfkqU=?=
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2018 09:43:42 +0000

"Doing Your Bit: Movie-Going During the Great War" Presented by Dr. Leslie DeBauche, UW-Stevens Point Prof Emerita Saturday, August 18 @ 2pm @ Driftless Historium

2018 World War I Speaker Series, #4 of 6 Mount Horeb Area Historical Society
& Mount Horeb Public Library Partner Program

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/31adc7d2fb6e487916f8d1bec/images/f0b2d43d-3833-48d0-be44-4670162a05c8.png]

Dr. Leslie DeBauche will discuss the ways that movies and movie theaters enlisted in the war effort while simultaneously doing their best to increase profits. States like Wisconsin, with its large German population and pre-war isolationist stance, posed a challenge that the film industry met and mastered over the 18 months of World War I.

In 1917, the movies were a popular pastime in the United States and they were big business. Actors including Mary Pickford, Charlie Chaplin and Douglas Fairbanks lit up the screens in cities and towns across the country; they also endorsed products, and after the U.S. entered World War I in April that year, stars helped to raise money for the war effort by selling Liberty Bonds. Movie theater managers also demonstrated their patriotism in a variety of ways during the war. In fact, one selling point for patronizing the movies was that you were helping the government when you bought your ticket and paid a 1-cent war tax.

Dr. DeBauche's interest in the movies and World War I began when she studied film at the UW-Madison and wrote her dissertation on this topic. Besides her book, "Reel Patriotism, the Movies and World War I," she has also published research on movie-going in Stevens Point, WI during the Great War.

FREE AND OPEN TO THE PUBLIC.

This lecture event is the fourth of six scheduled speakers on the topic of WWI, a 2018 program series commemorating the 100th Anniversary of the Armistice. Call the Mount Horeb Area Historical Society to learn more at 608-437-6486 or email This lecture event is the fourth of six scheduled speakers on the topic of WWI, a 2018 program series commemorating the 100th Anniversary of the Armistice. Call the Mount Horeb Area Historical Society to learn more at 608-437-6486 or email mthorebhistory@mhtc.net.

At the 11th hour on the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918, the Great War ended.

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/31adc7d2fb6e487916f8d1bec/images/73a57f5d-41a5-4c68-9ced-c7054265b96a.jpg]

Copies of DeBauche's book, Real Patriotism: The Movies and World War I, will be available for purchase and author-signing following the lecture.

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/31adc7d2fb6e487916f8d1bec/images/58c63280-92b7-41be-abc2-f1c6444841ae.png] Driftless Historium Mount Horeb Area Historical Society 100 S 2nd St Mount Horeb, Wisconsin
(608) 437-6486 www.mthorebhistory.org FIND US ON FACEBOOK!