Re: Historic Paint colors for commercial buildings

Brian Bigler (usemeum@mhtc.net)
Fri, 31 Aug 2018 17:20:39 -0500

Subject: Re: Historic Paint colors for commercial buildings
From: Brian Bigler <usemeum@mhtc.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2018 17:20:39 -0500

You are correct in that many buildings were painted with white lead paint - especially if you are talking about buildings of the 1860s.  After that commercial buildings were often of two or more colors.  Window sashes or mullions / muntins (dividers that held the glass in place ) were often painted black as it was believed that it made the windows look bigger and made these dividers invisible when viewed from a distance.  A dark green with lamp black added was also used.  This same color was used for window shutters as well,

Many old hardware and pharmacy catalogues have paint sample pages that consist of small squares of heavy paper painted with color choices that could be ordered.  There are some of these catalogues in the archives of the Mount Horeb Area Historical Society that date to as early as 1890.  These colors were pretty basic:  dark reads (like the barn color), dark green, Indian orange / red, gray white and black,

Industrial buildings seem to take on the colors of what they were selling - example the 1880s hardware store in Mount Horeb has two shades of reds, a terracotta color and black sashes and an implement store had the colors you would find on horse drawn wagons  and other wooden farm equipment- deep greens, oranges, shades of yellows, etc.

Good luck with your project - sounds interesting,

Brian J. Bigler - Mount Horeb

Information based on several research projects of 19th century commercial buildings