RE: PastPerfect Online and Virtual Exhibit

Kathryn Otto (kathryn.otto@uwrf.edu)
Tue, 9 Oct 2018 22:00:24 +0000

From: Kathryn Otto <kathryn.otto@uwrf.edu>
Subject: RE: PastPerfect Online and Virtual Exhibit
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2018 22:00:24 +0000

With any archival material—paper, photos, digital—you should always include language donating any rights to the repository, unless the donors are adamant that they don’t want to. If they don’t, you have to treat that donation differently.

PP Online also includes an easy way to do a watermark on photos that you put online. I would also suggest that the images you put online are low resolution.

Kathryn Otto UW-River Falls Archives

From: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu <localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu> On Behalf Of Eagle River Historical Society Sent: Tuesday, October 09, 2018 4:34 PM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Cc: Bernstein, Rick A - WHS <rick.bernstein@wisconsinhistory.org>; Janet Seymour <janet.seymour@wisconsinhistory.org> Subject: Re: PastPerfect Online and Virtual Exhibit

Eagle River is also exploring putting our collection up with PP. We just had a conversation with Peter Shrake of Circus World on some of these issues. One of the to the safeguards, where images are concerned, he said is a TRC or Deed of Gift that includes language assigning all rights to the museum or historical society. He also suggested in cases where the donor is known that it is a courtesy to contact them and tell them the intention, possibly getting agreement in writing.

Karen Sailer

On Tue, Oct 9, 2018 at 3:44 PM Helen Wirka <hwirka@cityofsunprairie.com<mailto:hwirka@cityofsunprairie.com>> wrote: Hello all,

We are considering using PastPerfect Online as a way to share our catalog of museum objects and we are considering doing the PastPerfect Virtual Exhibit.

I’ve worked elsewhere that used PastPerfect Online, but it was arranged before I was hired. At my current museum, our Board asked me to find out some more information about the legality of sharing this information on the Internet. Has anyone come across legal issues or had issues with insurance because object information has been posted online? Have any donors questioned the choice?

Thank you, Helen

Helen Wirka Museum Director Sun Prairie Historical Library and Museum

[cid:[cid:image002.png@01D2CF15.65265700] 115 E Main Street | Sun Prairie, WI 53590 608-837-2915 hwirka@cityofsunprairie.com<mailto:hwirka@cityofsunprairie.com>