2019 Local History Webinars

RICHARD ALLEN BERNSTEIN (rick.bernstein@wisconsinhistory.org)
Wed, 23 Jan 2019 17:07:50 +0000

From: RICHARD ALLEN BERNSTEIN <rick.bernstein@wisconsinhistory.org>
Subject: 2019 Local History Webinars
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2019 17:07:50 +0000

Hello everyone. Below is our slate of FREE Local History Webinars for 2019. If you can’t make the time and day a program is offered, register anyway, and you’ll receive an automatic email after the live program concludes with a link to the recording.

Best, Rick

Richard Bernstein, Southern Region Local History-Field Services Office of Programs and Outreach

Wisconsin Historical Society 816 State Street, Madison, WI 53706 608 264 6583 rick.bernstein@wisconsinhistory.org

Wisconsin Historical Society Collecting, Preserving and Sharing Stories Since 1846<http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/?utm_source=Email%20Signatures&amp;amp%3Butm_medium=email&amp;amp%3Butm_campaign=si>

[http://r20.rs6.net/on.jsp?ca=b809b13e-654e-4d70-95eb-43dd51704d5a&a=1109510989793&c=ca61ee90-e950-11e6-821d-d4ae52710c75&ch=ca6d8750-e950-11e6-821d-d4ae52710c75]

[http://files.constantcontact.com/1e722045201/ddfd87bd-601a-4ae5-bb4a-685cfce94cfc.png]

2019 Local History Webinars

Join us for our FREE 2019 Local History Webinars Presented by the Local History-Field Services Office of Programs and Outreach

Can't make it at the scheduled day/time?
Register and you will be sent a link to access a recording that you watch on demand after the live broadcast.

Leadership Matters; Thoughts on 21st Century Museum Leadership January 30, 2019 1:30 pm CT

[https://files.constantcontact.com/1e722045201/fc986d5e-04e7-45a1-a28e-aeb20e6a1b95.jpg]

[Anne Ackerson][Joan Baldwin] Presented by Anne Ackerson and Joan Baldwin
 What makes the leader of a successful museum tick? Are there discernible attitudes, philosophies and skills that set a person apart? What lessons can be drawn from their stories? While leadership has been a trending topic in the for-profit arena for decades, it receives much less attention in the micro-niche of history museums. Anne Ackerson and Joan Baldwin, former history museum directors and co-authors of the book, Leadership Matters, contend that leadership training and development at both the board and staff levels must be more fully understood and embraced if these institutions are to prevail. Ackerson and Baldwin will reveal insights from their interviews of more than 30 engaging, innovative and entrepreneurial museum leaders in the US and Canada. Collected together, their stories capture history and cultural heritage museum leadership at one of the field’s most challenging times.

Register for this Webinar<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001Tv8lbvs_OKoiWltGNtgLxrEbdTVbA9ZnVONfXPrxWe0I39oWJiI3HUICNHL6ICyuZgoXzH3EHRdNqcxbnMd0FGiGf9cK1RLW9nbiTcGo4EtD8dz80QXnTpSmAOkcGJjuqrjvx_ukhDMM84l8kqZnOyoLjAH1_VoRq1mnTCc7ir_YhxafD03olgmzIjaQG-kwHlaT1xvo7z0=&c=H5HScWDKNr_z-Dv3H9iv5wR2UnkyOJno4uDU7u4iqA2sCwnL_t6QzA==&ch=CMFZU6-KTqEi2QDZlGKI3OxIvOawR4bV_018N7HnduhjLLx0S81gtA==>

Improving Your Museum Store Benchmarks February 8, 2019 1:30 pm CT

[Andrew Andoniadis] Presented by Andrew Andoniadis, Andoniadis Retail Services
 To go somewhere you need to know where you are. Keeping an eye on merchandise trends, upcoming exhibits, customer preferences, etc. is an important part of staying abreast of the market. Keeping track of financial and other numerical trends, however, is equally important. Knowing how your store is doing in just a handful of key areas can help you make better plans for the future. And, having a history of statistics will help you evaluate changes you have made. Whether you are a history, art or children's museum, botanical garden, zoo or historical site, you need to have the facts before making decisions. This program will address some easily assembled statistical facts and simple formulas that are applicable to most museum stores. Then, there will be a discussion of some of the most impactful factors that improve benchmarks.

Register for this Webinar<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001Tv8lbvs_OKoiWltGNtgLxrEbdTVbA9ZnVONfXPrxWe0I39oWJiI3HUICNHL6ICyuWNu54zu-vs-TJmmhE3mcgcN-NehHis1fXAmJrdawW1eKEhqKNoWMS6jzxHRGOWKXnRgtayJUoxSZupNNMc6VtR3LIqzxRLjizTqk9AjtrYurLSf50tswOOAvb0fZrAyj-U0XlPIdaf8=&c=H5HScWDKNr_z-Dv3H9iv5wR2UnkyOJno4uDU7u4iqA2sCwnL_t6QzA==&ch=CMFZU6-KTqEi2QDZlGKI3OxIvOawR4bV_018N7HnduhjLLx0S81gtA==>

Black History Month

Slave Dwellings as Seen through a Hollywood Lens Wednesday, February 13, 2019 1:30 pm CT

[Julia Rose] Presented by Julia Rose, John Hopkins University
 Since Hollywood's earliest films, rare cinematic depictions of slave dwellings have provided an image of slave habitations for many Americans. Dr. Rose will examine images of slave dwellings from popular culture in film. From Edwin Porter's 1903 silent film portrayal of "Uncle Tom's Cabin" through director Steve McQueen's 2013 Academy Award-winning film "12 Years a Slave," Dr. Rose will consider how slave life dwellings represented on film changed over the century.

Register for this Webinar<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001Tv8lbvs_OKoiWltGNtgLxrEbdTVbA9ZnVONfXPrxWe0I39oWJiI3HUICNHL6ICyuZHaFiKg9s2WwTlwx1Xkdq-Q9EJ2wyobTAL6pqKKjhOoeOZap1T-z__s-Now2f9uHyWz4J1dBHVyfaVlgSR8p6FcC3wWMkETmcx_2k5xNwHH7a0ReMkTYmqv1uqhhvmWJS514Yvl-eXU=&c=H5HScWDKNr_z-Dv3H9iv5wR2UnkyOJno4uDU7u4iqA2sCwnL_t6QzA==&ch=CMFZU6-KTqEi2QDZlGKI3OxIvOawR4bV_018N7HnduhjLLx0S81gtA==>

The Black-White Swimming Disparity in America: A Deadly Legacy of Swimming Pool Discrimination Wednesday, February 27, 2019 2:30 - 4:00 pm CT

[Jeff Wiltse] Presented by Jeff Wiltse, Professor of History, University of Montana
 Recent studies have found that black Americans are half as likely to know how to swim as white Americans and black children are three times more likely to drown than white children. In this presentation, Professor Wiltse will explore the historical roots of these contemporary disparities, arguing that they largely result from past discrimination in the provision of and access to swimming pools. There were two times when swimming surged in popularity in the United States—at public swimming pools during the 1920s and 1930s and at suburban swim clubs during the 1950s and 1960s. In both cases, large numbers of white Americans had easy access to these pools, whereas racial discrimination severely restricted black Americans' access. As a result, swimming never became integral to black Americans' recreation and sports culture and was not passed down from generation to generation as commonly occurred with white Americans.

Register for this Webinar<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001Tv8lbvs_OKoiWltGNtgLxrEbdTVbA9ZnVONfXPrxWe0I39oWJiI3HUICNHL6ICyue9OKrloM3TjmWhgkUKv1Q3U4KH0WtzEKNGv4DCGsk8bXfQF7irOFGUvTuiVFHyEp4jBAve0_R10O_8RlQzHFi7qtMtv0bB-v6tagbV2EOB652P3A5AAOOuZqB1Ui7HYwmSr9ZamlV8A=&c=H5HScWDKNr_z-Dv3H9iv5wR2UnkyOJno4uDU7u4iqA2sCwnL_t6QzA==&ch=CMFZU6-KTqEi2QDZlGKI3OxIvOawR4bV_018N7HnduhjLLx0S81gtA==>

Women's History Month

Reimagining Bradford: The Project Wednesday, March 6, 2019 1:30 - 3:00 pm CT

[Erin McGough] Presented by Erin McGough, Executive Director, Duxbury Rural & Historical Society
 The Duxbury Rural & Historical Society recently completed a multi-year project to preserve the structural integrity of the Bradford House and to re-invigorate the family history, focusing on the Bradford daughters and their incredible lives. The new exhibitions, facilities and stimulating programs developed are intended to engage the public, to be more varied & inclusive, and to appeal to audiences today. The new exhibition, "Four Bradford Daughters: Lives Well-Lived" opened July 2017, and repairs to the house were completed. In June 2018, the Duxbury Rural & Historical Society received an Award of Merit (Leadership in History Award) from the American Association of State and Local History (AASLH), for the project to "Re-imagine Bradford."

Register for this Webinar<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001Tv8lbvs_OKoiWltGNtgLxrEbdTVbA9ZnVONfXPrxWe0I39oWJiI3HUICNHL6ICyuaZwpA0TvZPiQiFpYp0_uLQ0sWmTw8CJ1RCtuSiDbLSxoxCZNezae6gtveStxLPdesVudzXBYdGNDbP5M-Si75pFFPqE2qCcFySrYc9eGd3ogZVtcLXSheCgTp8ZHhsfZnFosvhoRtxc=&c=H5HScWDKNr_z-Dv3H9iv5wR2UnkyOJno4uDU7u4iqA2sCwnL_t6QzA==&ch=CMFZU6-KTqEi2QDZlGKI3OxIvOawR4bV_018N7HnduhjLLx0S81gtA==>

Women in Museums Wednesday, March 13, 2019 1:30 - 3:00 pm CT

[Anne Ackerson] [Joan Baldwin]

Presented by Anne Ackerson and Joan Baldwin
 According to an August 2016 Pew Research survey, 56 percent of American men think sexism is over and done with and that "the obstacles that once made it harder for women than men to get ahead are now largely gone." Most women – 63 percent – disagree. In this session, Joan Baldwin and Anne Ackerson, the authors of the book, Women in the Museum: Lessons from the Workplace, discuss gender equity issues persistently plaguing the field. From micro-aggressions to unconscious bias to toxic workplace environments, we will explore the implications of an inequitable workplace for a field that prides itself on open and equal public access.

Register for this Webinar<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001Tv8lbvs_OKoiWltGNtgLxrEbdTVbA9ZnVONfXPrxWe0I39oWJiI3HUICNHL6ICyuBfXc7UoVtxiUeHQPrEOYROgbfquGcikqhHf65E3ukNRy0ELHQGAN_UvCfhKhVDdgTunfQaTiXdr6TPKWJefAooNHKbGK_-W5ylF6NM3tKeHChP_DmkFox96o_YhS6xflCrW_AQbGYYo=&c=H5HScWDKNr_z-Dv3H9iv5wR2UnkyOJno4uDU7u4iqA2sCwnL_t6QzA==&ch=CMFZU6-KTqEi2QDZlGKI3OxIvOawR4bV_018N7HnduhjLLx0S81gtA==>

Interpreting Women at Historic Sites Wednesday, March 27, 2019 1:30 - 3:00 pm CT

[Mary Van Balgooy]

Presented by Mary Van Balgooy, Executive Director, Society of Woman Geographers
 Although women are a crucial part of our heritage, historic sites often portray them as pleasant homemakers or radical feminists. Is this an accurate representation? No. Historians use many tools in interpreting history, and the tools used by present-day historians give the impression that men make history. However, by using a different set of tools to interpret women, a new narrative arises where women are just as active as men, participating in all facets of society and redefining history as we know it. In this presentation, Mary van Balgooy will discuss the state of the field of women's history; examine the current challenges and opportunities for interpreting women at historic sites; and give audience participants the right tools to research, uncover, and interpret women and their significance in history.

Register for this Webinar<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001Tv8lbvs_OKoiWltGNtgLxrEbdTVbA9ZnVONfXPrxWe0I39oWJiI3HUICNHL6ICyu-OmE2IhdpTxGLa6vWHjo4trqWR8c2fRIcARweQXA9X-zdV9gHs7emwuV_p7z0m9GbWsCLiT5Ed4JGpFMQqxDWWW9MErt0oHV111sjDGusaxA6JeJ2FWrUQVVfNViCzVgCDjYqUDBkEs=&c=H5HScWDKNr_z-Dv3H9iv5wR2UnkyOJno4uDU7u4iqA2sCwnL_t6QzA==&ch=CMFZU6-KTqEi2QDZlGKI3OxIvOawR4bV_018N7HnduhjLLx0S81gtA==>

Best Practices for Board Service: Historic House Museums - Part I Wednesday, April 10, 2019 1:30 - 3:00 pm CT

[Donna Ann Harris] Presented by Donna Ann Harris, Heritage Consulting Inc.
 Clear up the confusion about who does what in historic house museum organizations by participating in this two-part webinar. During the first of two webinars on this topic, we will discuss the legal responsibilities of all nonprofit board members according to state nonprofit law and how these duties apply to nonprofit historic house museum boards. We will discuss the three board responsibilities, called the Duty of Care, Loyalty, and Obedience to the Law, and how your historic site can demonstrate your understanding of these duties and the organizational policies and practices you can implement to assure that you exceed these minimum requirements. We will share some true but shocking stories along the way (no names please!) about good boards gone bad so that your organization won't make the same mistakes. This training is derived from Ms. Harris' chapter "The Essential Role of Boards in Reimagining Historic House Museums" in Reimaging the Historic House Museum: Catalysts for Change, edited by Kenneth Turino and Max Van Balgooy for Rowman and Littlefield, Publishers, available in 2020. Ms. Harris will provide a resource packet with forms, letters, articles, a bibliography, and other information to help boost your historic sites' board effectiveness.

Register for this Webinar<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001Tv8lbvs_OKoiWltGNtgLxrEbdTVbA9ZnVONfXPrxWe0I39oWJiI3HUICNHL6ICyuFEXNCmzslYMhVqwBWUXd7OJOo8NZHub8cNz0JOiWreVcs4vmtY0mjI68FWz6e9YAeRd-_l1GJLzJIIZAn9LldGUFCq1wHLE-7PCfzyEaPLmkYO4shoVizdrKzegVWEseNxWcqktv0oU=&c=H5HScWDKNr_z-Dv3H9iv5wR2UnkyOJno4uDU7u4iqA2sCwnL_t6QzA==&ch=CMFZU6-KTqEi2QDZlGKI3OxIvOawR4bV_018N7HnduhjLLx0S81gtA==>

Best Practices for Board Service: Historic House Museums - Part II Wednesday, April 24, 2019 1:30 - 3:00 pm CT

[Donna Ann Harris] Presented by Donna Ann Harris, Heritage Consulting Inc.
 In Part 2 of our webinar series on Best Practices for Board Service at Historic Sites, we will discuss what historic site board members do collectively and as individuals to support the organization with their "time, talent and treasure." During this webinar, we will talk about all volunteer historic sites, as well as those with staff, to differentiate what the board versus the staff does in both types of organizations. We will highlight the leadership qualities needed in an excellent Board President (whether you have staff or not), and how the Nominating and Executive Committees can shape the future of the organization. Finally, we’ll discuss the core documents that all house museums need in order to be effective stewards of their collections and historic property. This training is derived from Ms. Harris' chapter "The Essential Role of Boards in Reimagining Historic House Museums" in Reimaging the Historic House Museum: Catalysts for Change, edited by Kenneth Turino and Max Van Balgooy for Rowman and Littlefield, Publishers, available in 2020. Ms. Harris will provide a resource packet with blank forms, letters, articles, a bibliography, and other information to help boost your historic sites’ board effectiveness.

Register for this Webinar<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001Tv8lbvs_OKoiWltGNtgLxrEbdTVbA9ZnVONfXPrxWe0I39oWJiI3HUICNHL6ICyu58OHU45uIozSyGtdStxYdRxC89XNpcdECccmAevGW6keHXPZRBokKZW2RB4yrL6U1qb4bAfQhpCyhaDju7D523KWMinz9hX6MwbJb12VPQtDjh8-vlcE9QuBhzY7iSaLZWDgLBgRzwI=&c=H5HScWDKNr_z-Dv3H9iv5wR2UnkyOJno4uDU7u4iqA2sCwnL_t6QzA==&ch=CMFZU6-KTqEi2QDZlGKI3OxIvOawR4bV_018N7HnduhjLLx0S81gtA==>

Have you missed a past Local History Webinar? Check out our library of previous Local History Webinar recordings<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001Tv8lbvs_OKoiWltGNtgLxrEbdTVbA9ZnVONfXPrxWe0I39oWJiI3HQ_bbTQsv5J-0BZbeKOEtIxM1cY8tFfRg3GprcKTFSTHgITCUrnqC7iEPxbn-RL4hQFRQLwQiL9XljuB6Owq9o6A4I6O2ztD90Zdefb1nhulrb8b4PV8e-yEHNggMeH8gM75y0vONSd4&c=H5HScWDKNr_z-Dv3H9iv5wR2UnkyOJno4uDU7u4iqA2sCwnL_t6QzA==&ch=CMFZU6-KTqEi2QDZlGKI3OxIvOawR4bV_018N7HnduhjLLx0S81gtA==>. Some local history organizations have even made webinars a group event.

Wisconsin Historical Society | 816 State Street, Madison, WI 53706