Re: Digital recording equipment

dewalter (dewalter@cheqnet.net)
Sun, 07 Apr 2019 15:43:16 -0500

Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2019 15:43:16 -0500
From: dewalter <dewalter@cheqnet.net>
Subject: Re: Digital recording equipment

On 2019-04-05 13:58, Mary Dibble wrote:
> Can anyone recommend high quality digital recording equipment that is
> affordable? At the New Glarus Historical Society and Monticello Area
> Historical Society we would like to record important memories of area
> residents and maintain them on digital files. We're interested in
> preserving historical information but also would like to be able to
> edit the interviews on a computer for use in exhibits or to make
> available online. We want the sound to be clear and clean.
>
> Any recommendations?
>
> Thanks
>
> Mary Dibble
> New Glarus Historical Society

Mary
        At the Moquah Heritage Society, we started video-taping interviews with local residents about four years ago. Our objective is to document their view of local history (before they’re gone). One of us transcribes the interviews, which gives us rough printed data. It takes about twice as long to transcribe an oral interview, for example, if the interview is one hour, it takes us two hours to transcribe the information. One of the members writes an article based on that data (we publish a quarterly newsletter - The Ethnic Voice). Sometimes we have to re-interview or call the person a second or third time to clarify the material. At some point, it is our intention to produce a CD on our local history.
           At the beginning of this project, a fair amount of research was required (as you are finding out). There is a lot of information available on-line. Sometimes asking the right question is the most difficult part of the research.
        Rather than trying to put all of this into an email document, I have attached a document with the information I have to share. Please be aware – some of this is from on-line research, and some of it is from our personal experience.
        It is my opinion that you do not need to invest a huge amount of money into your equipment. There are several cameras on the market that are not that expensive. We use a Canon Vixia HF R500, with a Lavalier clip on microphone. The main consideration is to get something that is easy for you to operate, not requiring complicated procedures.
        You also must consider what you are using to edit your videos for later use. If you can’t plug the SD card (or whatever storage medium you use) into your computer, you can’t retrieve your interview. Software is obviously also a major consideration.
   I have attached three documents with information to share with you. Interview techniques has the most information regarding camera equipment and interview items. Deed of gift is the one we use as a permission slip. feel free to alter it as you see fit. Interview topics is the checklist for interviews - a starting point.
     If you have further questions, please contact us. Dave Walter dewalter@cheqnet.net 715 746-2846