advice for starting a local history center

Jason Tish (jason.tish@gmail.com)
Mon, 30 Sep 2019 16:55:52 -0500

From: Jason Tish <jason.tish@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2019 16:55:52 -0500
Subject: advice for starting a local history center

Hi everyone-

I'm involved with a small energetic group working on a plan for a local history center for Madison. Local history in Madison is a unique situation. We have only a narrow niche that is not covered by the State Historical Society, the UW Archives, the Madison Public Library's local history collections, and the Dane County Historical Society. We have a solid handle on that niche.

What we really need advice on is how to actually plan for, and create the physical space for a history center/museum/research facility. Our current model entails a small exhibition space, and archival facility, and space for an office, a reading room, and presentations. We expect it to be an iterative process where we start out in a space that may not have all of that. Our priority is to bring together a collection of documents and artifacts in order to demonstrate the need for a permanent facility. We can do do that initially in a facility that doesn't;t meet all of our needs, and later move to facility that does (unless fund-raising proves more successful than we expect)

If you have ever been involved in developing a local history facility, what is the one piece of advice (or two) that you wish someone had given you before you started?

--
- Jason