Re: advice for starting a local history center

Sutter2519 (sutter2519@aol.com)
Tue, 1 Oct 2019 01:55:14 +0000 (UTC)

Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2019 01:55:14 +0000 (UTC)
From: Sutter2519 <sutter2519@aol.com>
Subject: Re: advice for starting a local history center

Dear Jason,

We at Appleton Historical Society started 10 years ago also with a shadow o f another older larger society.  I would love to share our story with you.  Are you ever in Appleton?  I would make a trip to Mad Town if need be.  Let me know. Tom Sutter, President ATTORNEY THOMAS H. SUTTER 2631 N. MEADE STREET, SUITE 101APPLETON, WI 54911 920 991 0405 920 991 0407 FAX 920 585 1379 CELL

-----Original Message----- From: Jason Tish <jason.tish@gmail.com> To: localhistory <localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu> Sent: Mon, Sep 30, 2019 5:27 pm Subject: advice for starting a local history center

Hi everyone- I'm involved with a small energetic group working on a plan for a local his tory center for Madison.  Local history in Madison is a unique situati on. We have only a narrow niche that is not covered by the State Historical
 Society, the UW Archives, the Madison Public Library's local history colle ctions, and the Dane County Historical Society. We have a solid handle on t hat niche. What we really need advice on is how to actually plan for, and create the p hysical space for a history center/museum/research facility. Our current mo del entails a small exhibition space, and archival facility, and space for an office, a reading room, and presentations. We expect it to be an iterati ve process where we start out in a space that may not have all of that. Our
 priority is to bring together a collection of documents and artifacts in o rder to demonstrate the need for a permanent facility. We can do do that in itially in a facility that doesn't;t meet all of our needs, and later move to facility that does (unless fund-raising proves more successful than we e xpect)   If you have ever been involved in developing a local history facility, what
 is the one piece of advice (or two) that you wish someone had given you be fore you started?

--
- Jason