Re: Local Municipal Funding

Julie Huebel (jhuebel@piercecountyhistorical.org)
Wed, 30 Oct 2019 12:09:01 +0000

From: Julie Huebel <jhuebel@piercecountyhistorical.org>
Subject: Re: Local Municipal Funding
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2019 12:09:01 +0000

Pierce County, WI - We receive $12,000 per year from the county. We have no
 official affiliation with the county government. We are associated with WH S. We own our own property, the county has no involvement in that or decisi on making. Sorry you haven't had luck getting county funding, I recommend t o keep trying.

________________________________ From: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu < <localhistory-request@listser ve.uwec.edu> on behalf of Sussex-Lisbon Area Historical Society, Inc. <slah sinc@yahoo.com> Sent: Wednesday, October 23, 2019 10:41:22 AM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu <localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu> Subject: Local Municipal Funding

Our organization once again tried, without success, to acquire municipal fu nding from the towns and village we serve. We are thought of as a charity, and besides the possibility of a minor property tax rate hike (50 cents per
 resident per year), the respective boards don't want to open the flood gat es for other such petitioners. I've expressed multiple times that we're not
 a charity, but a community resource, much like the local parks, highway, a nd fire departments.

My questions to all of you that do receive municipal funding support are th ese: Is your historical society an extension of your municipality[ies] gove rnment, ex. under your park & rec dept, or as a separate department? Doe s it have to be to receive funding? If you're not part of the local municipality you serve and receive funding,
 how does the local government justify to the residents [and themselves] of
 the community that they should do this? If you receive funding, do you have to petition the municipalities each and
 every year to be added to their annual budgets, or ? I wonder how many Wisconsin historical society organizations receive local government funding, and to what degree of the organization's annual budget? If you receive government funding, can you also be an incorporated entity u nder Wisconsin law, and an affiliate of the Wisconsin State Historical Soci ety?

Apart from the above, has anyone been successful in conducting online socia l media fundraising events/programs, such as GoFundMe on Facebook or other?

Mike

Michael R. Reilly Museum Director: Sussex-Lisbon Area Historium President: Sussex-Lisbon Area Historical Society, Inc. www.slah.online<http://www.kellerhistorymuseum.org/> www.slahs.org P. O. Box 2, Sussex, Wisconsin 53089-0002