Re: Scanning microfiche

russhanson (russhanson@grantsburgtelcom.net)
Wed, 26 Feb 2020 14:42:14 -0600

Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2020 14:42:14 -0600
From: russhanson <russhanson@grantsburgtelcom.net>
Subject: Re: Scanning microfiche

On 2020-02-26 09:20, William Schuette wrote:
> I want to scan and digitize several microfiche films (inside a 4x5
> inch sleeve). I have a good Epson V600 scanner which does film. When I
> scan the microfiche at 3200 dpi, the letters on the document come out
> blurry. When viewed on a microfiche viewer, it's very clear. Has
> anyone else ever attempted to do this? Or is the microfiche film just
> too smallĀ  to be scanned this way?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bill
>
> Sauk County Historical Society

We have an Epson V800 scanner that, although it is rated the same resolution as the V600, is actually supposed to do better. I would be interested in testing it on a microfiche, but don't have any and probably would need to test it on one of yours. If you would like to send one, I can run a test and if it works do yours for you on our machine or loan it to you. We have been using it for large format negatives (glass and regular) and it works good for that. We got it from a WHS minigrant with the promise we would share it with others!

Russ Hanson Sterling Eureka and Laketown Historical Society Box 755 Cushing, WI 54006