Re: Photo storage of scans

Douglas County Historical Society (dchs@douglashistory.org)
Thu, 21 May 2020 11:36:19 -0500

From: Douglas County Historical Society <dchs@douglashistory.org>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2020 11:36:19 -0500
Subject: Re: Photo storage of scans

Just a note on the JPG format. While it is popular and takes less space, it is what is called a lossy compressed format. It will lose something off its initial quality each time the image is saved, rename, or moved. TIFF files are one of the preferred formats for digital achieving in either uncompressed or lossless compression.

Here is a good resource in more detail https://digitalarch.org/blog/2017/4/7/best-image-formats-for-archival-photography

Jon Winter Douglas County Historical Society 1101 John Avenue Superior WI 54880 Business Manager 715-392-8449