Re: Photo storage of scans

Brian Bigler (usemeum@mhtc.net)
Thu, 21 May 2020 11:14:10 -0500

Subject: Re: Photo storage of scans
From: Brian Bigler <usemeum@mhtc.net>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2020 11:14:10 -0500

Hello Bill - thanks for sharing.

So you must have found and easy way to retrieve the stored scanned images and catalogue them.  Are they numbered or retrieved by subject?  Are they entered into a software program such as Past Perfect where you can pull the image up for a potential on site or off site viewer?  Also where you can enter a subject search to find content?

As much a I embrace digitizing images mostly for preservationwe might want to keep in mind that their are people who collect the 78, 45 and LP records simply because they sound better than their copied counter parts
.  And then there are cylinder records and wire tape recordings  - that's a whole other subject for retrieval discussion.  I still fondly look back to a talk by Myrna, a lovely woman who once worked in the WHS photo archive and who discussed the constant need for changing digital format at a talk on this very subject - in her exact words - "as long as you have a negative and a light bulb you will always have an image."

And remember if they are scanned in color at least they retain their original patina.  You may also want to scan their paper mounts as this is part of their contextual beginnings.

Thanks again for adding to the discussion!

Brian