Re: Photo storage of scans

russhanson (russhanson@grantsburgtelcom.net)
Thu, 21 May 2020 20:41:46 -0500

Date: Thu, 21 May 2020 20:41:46 -0500
From: russhanson <russhanson@grantsburgtelcom.net>
Subject: Re: Photo storage of scans

On 2020-05-20 18:07, Brian Bigler wrote:
> I have noted the discussion of photo copyrights and related on
> listserve.
>
> My questions to organizations out there is this:  How do you store
> these images?  If they are scans and stored on a computer how do you
> plan to retrieve them in the future with the rapid change in
> technology?   Already items stored on CDs are a problem and many CDs -
> even archival ones- are short lived.  Other computer devices would
> prove to be problematic as well - even off site storage may soon be
> antiquated for future use.
>
> A firm believer in hard copy storage to prevent constant updating of
> equipment I am wondering how many organizations print out quality
> prints for customer and archival use?  If so, how do you store them or
> impute them on a database?
>
> Thank you in advance for your answers.
>
> Brian J. Bigler
>
> Volunteer Curator - Mount Horeb Area Historical Society

    I have been storing mine to a hard drive synced with google cloud drive space. Having them on the cloud means you can share individual photos, folders or the whole set if you want to with one more more people or everyone in the world.
   What I like about Google drive is that it automatically does OCR on any text in the photos or documents including trying to do it on handwritten information. For example, I do this with a cemetery I work with and if I have a photo of a grave google finds it by searching on
"Jones" if the gravestone says Jones It also can learn a person (like Facebook with its facial recognition_ so you can say find all photos of Mary Smith and it finds them and people somewhat similar looking. I can say find a red tractor or find an orange ball etc.
   With the documents you can find words in them even though they are just images of the page. And, as I said, you can do that moderately will with old handwritten records too.
   My digital copy camera and my scanners are set to scan in the highest resolution and do I do store images in jpg (highest quality). I never edit the originals, just copies of them to stop any loss from the original. However, you should have a high-speed internet connection to do this especially the upload speed. When I am at the Luck Museum, we have good speed (50/50) and I also have decent speed at home (10/50)
    I pay $100 per year for a 2 tb of space. I synch whatever I am working on by folders and when they are complete, back them up on flash drives, hard drive and leave them on the Google drive too.
    I think the cloud drive is probably the most secure and flexible as a working location. I spent some of the last winter in TX and did not have to bring any files along to write a history book -- just find a restaurant or library with decent internet connection and get the files I needed.

Russ Hanson Sterling Eureka and Laketown Historical Society