RE: Archival Supplies

Rita Frakes (rita42@centurytel.net)
Sat, 13 Jun 2020 09:18:50 -0500

From: "Rita Frakes" <rita42@centurytel.net>
Subject: RE: Archival Supplies
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2020 09:18:50 -0500

Be very careful about using plastic containers. I use them for storing fabrics for quilting and sewing for my own personal use of them. I now always wash them before beginning to use them. On one occasion I noticed a film, kind of oily substance on them. These were brand new never used. I learned that that was probably used so the product would slip out of the molds, part of the manufacturing process.

Rita Frakes, Curator

Mazomanie Historical Society

www.mazomaniehistory.org <http://www.mazomaniehistory.org/> .

.

  _____

From: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu
[mailto:localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu] On Behalf Of Danielle Benden Sent: Friday, June 12, 2020 10:11 AM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: Re: Archival Supplies

Hi Donna,

Excellent question. Some companies will use the term
“archival” generically and you have to be careful with it, because sometimes materials marked “archival” are not stable long-term. Instead looks for these terms when companies describe their products: “acid-free,”
“lignin-free,” “inert.” If you can’t find this information on a company’s website, just call and ask them. For plastics, “safe” plastics include
“polyethylene” and “polypropylene”. Stay away from styrene and other “bad” plastics listed in this Conserve-O-Gram: https://www.nps.gov/museum/publications/conserveogram/18-02.pdf

Indeed, as someone else has mentioned, some plastic tubs from target and Walmart are safe. Again, look for polypropylene and polyethylene plastics. Also, there are several things to consider when deciding what materials to use for storage. That’s really important, because some materials/artifacts don’t do well stored in plastics, even the good kind. Lots to consider and I think it’s great that your historical societies are thinking through these important considerations. I’m here to answer additional questions if you have them. Feel free to contact me offline if you wish.

Sincerely,

Danielle Benden, Owner

Driftless Pathways, LLC

608.284.8907