Re: Policy for Museum Rental

Samuel Marshall (marshallwimuseum@gmail.com)
Thu, 9 Jul 2020 15:14:08 -0500

From: Samuel Marshall <marshallwimuseum@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2020 15:14:08 -0500
Subject: Re: Policy for Museum Rental

I would suggest looking at public library policies concerning this. Having been at a library for a long time, the pitfalls of renting to the public are many. So many public libraries choose to allow this only for non-profits in their community. You cannot appear to be discriminating in any way shape or form. For example, if you allow birthday parties, you would be discriminating if you did not allow bridal showers or stag parties. Yes, I'm serious. I will not go into further detail in an open forum. I would run it through your village attorney if you can.

This is the text I wrote for our library in 2002. Good Luck, Diana Skalitzky - Marshall Area Historical Society President

*Community Room Use*

If your activity is allowed under library policy, you may apply to book the community room at the front desk. For-profit groups may rent the room for
$20 per hour, or $10 per half-hour. There is no fee for non-profit groups. All groups must provide a refundable $50 security deposit check. Prior day setup for an activity must be pre-approved by the Library Director and is not always possible. We ask that you reserve the community room at least 7 days in advance. Non-public meetings may only use the community room up to four times per year, unless this requirement is specifically waived by the Library Director.

*Types of Activities Allowed In the Community Room*

"The primary function of the community room is to provide a place for library-related programs. When not scheduled for activities related to the library, the room will be made available for use (without a fee) by Marshall area governmental units for meetings and programs, non-profit
(Federal 501(c)3 registered), educational and cultural agencies and community services agencies. The Marshall area is defined as the Village of Marshall, Town of Medina, Town of York, and the Town of Sun Prairie. These meetings must be free and open to the public.

Groups, persons or organizations using the room may not charge admission or solicit donations or contact information. Possible exceptions may be made for a program or educational course requiring a registration fee or tuition. Exceptions may also be made for library-sponsored author, musician or artist visits, where the program may offer materials for sale.

*The community room may NOT be used for personal or family activities, or the sale, advertising or promotion of products or services.* For-profit organizations are not eligible to schedule activities in the community room for the primary purpose of making a profit from the event being sponsored. *For-profit organizations may utilize meeting rooms for educational or charitable purposes ONLY.*"