Re: To be framed or not to be framed - that is the question.

Brian Bigler (usemeum@mhtc.net)
Wed, 14 Oct 2020 18:34:15 -0500

Subject: Re: To be framed or not to be framed - that is the question.
From: Brian Bigler <usemeum@mhtc.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2020 18:34:15 -0500

Hello all,

The removal of frames is a subject that is difficult to give a single opinion to.  In my 45 years of working with this stuff, and especially coming from the exhibit point of view, the frames can add context to the photograph.  The paper mounts often reflect what time-period they were produced much like the clothing the individuals are wearing in those photos.  Art Deco frames of the 1930s, Arts and Crafts frames of the early 20th century and so on. Plus, many have the photographer's mark on the paper mount and you are able to tell by the dating of the frame which photographers worked at various times in your community.

When I use photos that are mounted in paper frames that need to be copied for exhibits I often prefer to  have the frame reproduced as well as the photo and museum visitors love this approach.  The team that recently created 5 period appropriate living rooms for the Driftless Historium in Mount Horeb needed those frames large and small to bring the desired settings to life.  A former archivist had removed the originals from their frames in some cases, but, fortunately volunteers had the foresight to save the removed frames - at least the important ones.

Yes, wooden acidic boards on the back of framed portraits and certificates cause damage and should be removed.  If you have room I would highly suggest storing the frames and glass pieces separately with associated numbers to find them again.

And yes, not every frame should be saved - especially those that are in bad condition or missing parts.  But I would highly suggest - if you have the room - to save at lest some examples of the various eras as future historians may take a different approach to this subject.

Not all smaller photos in museum collections see the light of day often and these may be individual portraits that are mostly kept for genealogists  and this would be the call of the archivist or curator to remove the mounts from these items.

When I use large framed photos in exhibits I prefer to copy them if possible and place the copies in the original frames in this case any period appropriate frame could be used.  Where you do not want to copy the original adding acid free backing is best.

So, I would take a cautious approach to removing "all" frames from your collections.

As Becca from Sauk County mentions - storing photo by size and number is best and it you use past perfect adding a scanned image to your inventory is good.  For example, at the Mount Horeb Area Historical Society there are more than 30,000 photographs in the archive and most are stored by measurements and a few by category - such as post card views, tin types, etc.  Many retain their original frames and many do not.

Large framed items in the MHAHS collection are stored on wall mounted chain link fencing and are hung from floor to ceiling - a rather efficient way of doing it and great for keeping the frames from further damage.

Hope I have encouraged you to save at least a few of the old frames in your collections.

For now - take care - and keep history alive -

Brian J. Bigler - exhibit designer, museum consultant and volunteer