Re: heating historic buildings

Cynthia Arbiture (musprosvc@gdinet.com)
Thu, 10 Dec 2020 21:22:40 -0600

From: Cynthia Arbiture <musprosvc@gdinet.com>
Subject: Re: heating historic buildings
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2020 21:22:40 -0600

Hi Jarrod,

The Wisconsin Historical Society had a good session at their recent 2020 Local History and Historic Preservation Annual Conference regarding unoccupied buildings. It was called "Mothballing Historic Buildings" and the link to some of the WHS information can be found at this link: https://www.wisconsinhistory.org/Records/Article/CS16449 Also for more information you can contact a professional staff member at the WHS Preservation Dept. https://www.wisconsinhistory.org/staff-directory/

Good luck,
   Cindy Arbiture President Concord Historical Society, Inc. www.concordwihistory.org

<historyrhs@gmail.com> wrote:

> We heat 2 of our buildings (one with propane and the other with
natural gas) due to there being artifacts and old furniture in them. We keep the temp relatively low—not sure what that temp is, maybe 55.. We get help from our Village with the gas heated building.

> Hope this helps.
>
> Richfield Historical Society
>
>> On Dec 10, 2020, at 6:53 PM, Jarrod Roll <mclhr@centurytel.net>
wrote:

>> Hello friends.
>>
>> I have a question for you which I am asking on behalf of another
historical organization which owns historic buildings. For those of you who own a standalone, small building (like a one-room school or church), do you heat it in the winter? The historical society who owns a one-room school in our area doesn’t want to heat it in the winter because it isn’t used and there is a significant heating bill involved. However, I know that even minimally heating an old building helps to preserve it. So, I would appreciate hearing from those of you who own a historic building and close it up for the winter—do you heat it or not?