Re: heating historic buildings

John Grochowski (jgrochowski@ephraim.org)
Fri, 11 Dec 2020 10:53:13 -0600

From: John Grochowski <jgrochowski@ephraim.org>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2020 10:53:13 -0600
Subject: Re: heating historic buildings

Great Question Jarrod!

We have several buildings here in Ephraim, two have HVAC systems but only one runs during the winter. Both of our historic barns have no insulation and several gaps to the outside, so they cannot be heated. Our historic house museum I believe also has no insulation, and would be too large to heat. Our small cabin museum is drafty as well. We would also not be able to install a traditional furnace in any of these buildings.

In our one room schoolhouse we installed a Bryant ductless min-split system about three years ago. It works great heating in the shoulder seasons and cooling in the summer months, but I was told by the company who sold it to us that those units are not very efficient once the temperatures get below a certain temperature. Our general store museum is the only one that is heated during the winter. We installed a new energy efficient furnace a few years ago, which has helped lower our heating bill, and keep the store at 60 degrees.

While it's obviously best practice to heat all of our buildings in the winter, it's not practical. The store is the only one that is feasible to heat, and also has the most objects. The other buildings would be nice, but not necessary. If your historical society only has the one room school, I would encourage them to look into a ductless mini-split. We paid
$3,320 for it and it works great, especially cooling the building in the summer, and it is very energy efficient. This would be better and cheaper than a furnace. They would just need to find out if the system would work effectively when it is super cold.

I hope this helps. I would be happy to talk with you more if you have any other questions.

*John M. Grochowski, CTA* Director of Operations Ephraim Historical Foundation 3060 Anderson Lane, PO Box 165 Ephraim, WI 54211-0165
(920) 854-9688 ephraim.org <http://www.ephraim.org/>

*Ephraim...Where Door County’s Past Lives Today*