RE: question for museums and historical societies which are part of government

Merrilee Lee (MLee@hoardmuseum.org)
Thu, 17 Dec 2020 09:58:23 -0600

From: "Merrilee Lee" <MLee@hoardmuseum.org>
Subject: RE: question for museums and historical societies which are part of government
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2020 09:58:23 -0600

Hi Jarrod,

We're a department of the City of Fort Atkinson while also receiving funding from the Fort Atkinson Historical Society which is a 501c3. I'd be glad to try and answer your questions.

Thanks!

Merrilee Lee

Director

Hoard Historical Museum

401 Whitewater Ave.

Fort Atkinson, WI 53538

920-563-7769

From: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu
[mailto:localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu] On Behalf Of Jarrod Roll Sent: Thursday, December 17, 2020 8:36 AM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: question for museums and historical societies which are part of government

Hello.

First, I need to thank those of you who responded to my question about whether or not you heat historic buildings in the winter. Summarizing the responses I received, I would say that half do and half don't. Those that do not heat, do not see adverse effects of freezing temps on their collections, but would still choose to heat their buildings if it wasn't cost prohibitive.

Now, I am looking to hear from those museums which are connected to a city or county government. Not those which receive funding from a municipality or county, but are actually a department of that city/county government. Would you please email me so that I could give you a telephone call to ask some questions we have about fundraising and 501c3 status, Friends Groups, etc.? Thank you.

Jarrod Roll

Director / County Historian

Monroe County Local History Room & Museum

200 West Main St.

Sparta, WI 54656

608-269-8680

www.MonroeCountyHistory.org <http://www.MonroeCountyHistory.org>