Re: Crocheted Mystery Item

Brian Bigler (usemeum@mhtc.net)
Tue, 5 Jan 2021 09:52:36 -0600

Subject: Re: Crocheted Mystery Item
From: Brian Bigler <usemeum@mhtc.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2021 09:52:36 -0600

Hello Karen

Your item most represents a sewing notion that was used to hold a single ball of crochet thread or yarn.  The ball would be slipped through the cords that attach to the part that folds down and these then hold the ball in place from falling out of the pocket. The small circle hole in the front would be where the yarn or thread would come out.  Some varieties of these fastened to a belt loop on a dress or hung off of a sewing basket.  Believe it or not women often carried such items to church and crocheted or knitted during a long sermon.  They also carried a chatelaine that held scissors, thimble and other items needed from chains fastened to a clip that was then also fastened to a dress belt

Hope this is of help

Brian J. Bigler

Museum Consultant - Exhibit Designer -  Mount Horeb