Re: Land patents vs County records

sara m steele (smsteele@wisc.edu)
Tue, 19 Oct 2021 09:42:40 -0500

Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 09:42:40 -0500
Subject: Re: Land patents vs County records
From: sara m steele <smsteele@wisc.edu>

It's been interesting to read  responses.

Following up on the time sequence, be sure to check when the county became a county and when it opened a register of deeds office.

Dane County became a county in 1848.  However the government sold the first land here in 1834.  I can't recall if the sale of the land from the government was listed.in the county.  I remember catching up with the pieces of land's history with their sale.

Also, following up on the comment about owning land before getting the deed.  That was most likely to occur if the land was in one of the two sections in each township given to the state to sell and use the money to establish a university (Land Grant college) and schools.  The state's process for selling differed from the federal. Deeds from the state  were granted after the land was paid for. The federal government sold the deed and then the owner kept paying for the land.

The Mineral Point land office came first than Green Bay and Milwaukee were added

If one is using data from the Federal Land Management site, depending on the location, the date of sale may be a year or two later than that found in land office records..There was about a two year lag between the dates from the federal office Boyd printed in his book about Dane county land, and the dates from land office records.

It can be very interesting to follow the history of a piece of land.  It will be even easier once Register of Deeds office transfer early information from microfilm to digital.

Sara

CGAHS researcher