Re: Land patents vs County records

Marcia Theusch (mtheusch@gmail.com)
Tue, 19 Oct 2021 10:06:27 -0500

From: Marcia Theusch <mtheusch@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 10:06:27 -0500
Subject: Re: Land patents vs County records

The land patents were issued by the US Government to the purchaser of the land. They represented the first transaction of ownership for a parcel. The land was surveyed and documented by this time and sold by parcel.
 This was frequently documented in an Abstract of Title. The abstract for my farm has an entry: July 29, 1836 as United States of America to William Miller and the parcel description. Another farm parcel was purchased from the government Oct 1, 1846. So each parcel is documented separately.

Subsequent transactions after the purchase from the government were documented locally. I'm in Washington County, so Milwaukee was the land grant office and our Register of Deeds office has the records.

I was recently on this website, looking for 'original land grants' or the first purchase of land from the Government. This is an awesome website:
 https://glorecords.blm.gov/default.aspx
<https://glorecords.blm.gov/default.aspx>. Land patents are digitized!!!

PS: Never surrender an Abstract of Title. if surrendered, the Title company destroys it. I have loaned it to them when needed for title work, then picked it up and gotten it back.

Good Luck,

Marcia Theusch, Washington County Historical Society Foundation, Inc. 262-689-9056

*Save the Buildings * Preserve Our History * Build the Future*
*Capital Campaign *