Re: Rural School Census Records

russhanson (russhanson@grantsburgtelcom.net)
Fri, 29 Oct 2021 06:34:20 -0500

Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 06:34:20 -0500
From: russhanson <russhanson@grantsburgtelcom.net>
Subject: Re: Rural School Census Records

On 2021-10-27 16:31, Dean & Marian Burmester wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Where can you find the Wisconsin local rural school census records?
> Are they available on ancestry or where on the web? I am researching
> small country schools in the Franklin Township of Sauk County.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marian Burmester Old Franklin Township Historical Society
   I haven't heard of these records before, but did find this webpage that seems to point to them https://theancestorhunt.com/blog/free-wisconsin-online-school-records/
   We have some records for our local schools in Sterling Township, Polk County, WI that have been donated over the years. Others from our county have been donated to the county historical society and some to the WHS archives at River Falls. I have been doing research reading local newspapers from the early 1900s and often run across local school reports in those. This week, reading old 1929 newspapers, I found that the students for one school year wrote a weekly update on the small 2-room school that I attended in the 1950s. It is a fascinating window into two teachers who decided that the school that year would be very much community involved and had the kids very active in going to local govt meetings, had speakers in such as the county extension agent to talk about alfalfa and detailed the school programs and studies. A wonderful snapshot of a rural school for a school year! Good Luck

Russ Hanson Sterling Eureka and Laketown Historical Society Cushing, WI (NW Polk County in NW Wisconsin)