Re: Obsolete Media Laboratory setup

Douglas County Historical Society (dchs@douglashistory.org)
Sat, 5 Feb 2022 14:07:51 -0600

From: Douglas County Historical Society <dchs@douglashistory.org>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2022 14:07:51 -0600
Subject: Re: Obsolete Media Laboratory setup

Two things to think about while you are rescuing photos and documents from old media.

1. Are the rescued files usable in current format? Files created with programs like Word, Wordperfect, Works, Wordstar have declining readability. Part of the rescue tools kit needs to be software to read and convert the formats. For photos convert to .tif or another lossless format.

2. Storage media and backup. At minimum use a 3-2-1 concept. 3 copies, 2 types of media, 1 offsite. The offsite solution could be a usb harddrive or online (cloud) storage. Onsite I like to have a working copy and a archive copy. Types of media could be server storage or NAS
(network attached storage), usb drive backup, online (cloud), I stay away from CD/DVD storage and use Flash Drives as only temporary devices not as storage or backup. Having 2-3 usb backup drives is a good idea should one fail.

Final thought, "No one was ever fired for having too many backups".

Jon Winter Douglas County Historical Society 1101 John Avenue Superior WI 54880 Business Manager 715-392-8449