Re: Having a plaque made for an historical downtown building, any legal restrictions from the State of WI ? Building located in an historical designated area.

Jason L Tish (jason.tish@wisconsinhistory.org)
Mon, 13 Jun 2022 21:59:00 +0000

From: Jason L Tish <jason.tish@wisconsinhistory.org>
Subject: Re: Having a plaque made for an historical downtown building, any legal restrictions from the State of WI ? Building located in an historical designated area.
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 21:59:00 +0000

Hi Maureen-

There are no state or federal rules on how or where you can install histori c markers. And the content of markers is completely up to the person or org anization designing/installing them.

Surprisingly, there is very little guidance on establishing a historic plaq ue program, or the technicalities of fabrication and installation. I'll rei terate Rick Berstein's referral to Erie Landmarks<https://www.erielandmark. com/establishing-a-plaque-program/#:~:text=Plaque%20programs%20provide%20 one%20of,purchased%20by%20the%20owners%20of>, a plaque fabricator.

Here's what I share with folks thinking about a community-wide signage prog ram for historic properties. Some of this may be relevant to your situation
.:

  1. Criteria
     * Make a policy on which properties are eligible for a plaque under
 your program. Also consider whether property owners will be required to ap ply for a plaque or will plaques will be offered to all eligible property o wners.
  2. Funding
     * Decide how plaques under your program will be funded. Be transpare nt about this when you advertise the program so applicants are aware of fun ding limitations
  3. Ownership
     * Think about who will own the actual plaque after it is installed. Will it be donated to the property owner, or will the city/organization ret ain ownership after installation.
  4. Permission
     * It's best to get the consent of the property owner prior to design ing the plaque. Again, consider whether property owners will be required to
 apply for a plaque or will plaques will be offered to all eligible propert y owners.
  5. Material
     * Once the decision has been made to install a plaque, the specifica tions of fabrication and installation must be worked out. Plaques can be ma de of a variety of materials including aluminum, steel, metal alloys, and e ven ceramic. Costs vary widely, so shop around for fabricators to compare m aterials options and costs.
  6. Content
     * The content is up to you. Again, there are no rules or standards f or the content of there markers, except the proper name of the National Reg ister of Historic Places.
  7. Location (of installation)
     * Before a plaque is made, consider where it will be mounted. There are many options: on a post, double or single-sided, on a concrete slab on the ground, on a rock, on a building.
  8. Method (of installation)
     * Fabricators will help you determine how to mount their plaques. On e important consideration is that if a plaque will be mounted directly on a
 building, the mounting hardware should cause as little damage to historic materials as possible. For example, if mounting on a brick building, bolts should be drilled into easily repairable mortar joints rather than into bri cks.

Hope this is helpful .

-Jason

[cid:5d00665e-eea4-4717-b1c4-41e6a0292675]<http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/

Collecting, Preserving, and Sharing Stories Since 1846<http://www.wisconsin history.org/?utm_source=Email%20Signatures&utm_medium=email&utm_campaig n=signature%20clicks>

JASON TISH

CERTIFIED LOCAL GOVERNMENT COORDINATOR

PRESERVATION EDUCATION COORDINATOR

Wisconsin Historical Society

816 State Street, Rm. 305

Madison, WI 53706

608.264.6512

________________________________ From: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu < <localhistory-request@listser ve.uwec.edu> on behalf of Olive Gross <gross622@gmail.com> Sent: Monday, June 13, 2022 15:37 To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu <localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu> Subject: Re: Having a plaque made for an historical downtown building, any legal restrictions from the State of WI ? Building located in an historical
 designated area.

Maureen,

You might check with the Jefferson County Parks & Recreation Department, listed under Jefferson County to Google.

Olive - BRWHS