Re: Bell Identification

Brian Bigler (usemeum@mhtc.net)
Fri, 17 Jun 2022 18:50:44 -0500

Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2022 18:50:44 -0500
Subject: Re: Bell Identification
From: Brian Bigler <usemeum@mhtc.net>

It is a decorative outdoor dinner bell and I do not think there is a huge amount of age to it.  It is based on the bells that were commonly used on farms at the end of the 19th century to call the crew or family members in from the fields during harvest season. They were also used for distress or to summons the fire department.  Most were offered through catalogues like Sears or Montgomery Ward and the like.  These bells would have been mounted on a wooden post or beam in the yard, on the windmill tower or even on a roof

The bell you have was made to fit a round steel pole that most likely was sold with it

If I were to guess the age I would say last half of the 20th century

Brian J. Bigler - regional historian and museum exhibit designer and researcher - Mount Horeb

If I were to guess this