Re: Looking for expertise in hosting an afternoon tea

Shirley BrabenderMattox (shirleybrabendermattox@gmail.com)
Thu, 6 Apr 2023 13:17:21 -0500

From: Shirley BrabenderMattox <shirleybrabendermattox@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2023 13:17:21 -0500
Subject: Re: Looking for expertise in hosting an afternoon tea

What fun you will have learning and preparing for an afternoon tea. If you are doing this with your students as a study of the culture of tea, you may want to concentrate on the British and tea as an initial experience as you prepare for a British afternoon tea. The study of tea in various cultures can be a huge topic. However, that may be an interesting topic as a presentation.

Timing and what is served determines whether it is "high tea" which sounds high falutin but it is actually a light supper served between 5 - 7 pm.

I lived and taught in London 50 years ago and have returned for visits at least a dozen times. Tea is an integral part of British culture. The staff had a 20-minute tea break every morning as the pupils went outside. Every department had an electric kettle and a collection of odd cups for tea. I attended an evening course at Morley College and half-way through the class we all headed to the cafeteria for a cuppa; the milk was already in the cup. Question: one or two? refers to sugar cubes.

You can contact me if you would like.

Cheers, Shirley Brabender Mattox shirleybrabendermattox@gmail.com Oshkosh Landmarks Commission

On Thu, Apr 6, 2023 at 7:35 AM Mike Michna <mich3349@gmail.com> wro te:

*