Re: Unknown Donor New Donations

Julie Huebel (jhuebel@piercecountyhistorical.org)
Mon, 24 Apr 2023 16:31:42 +0000

From: Julie Huebel <jhuebel@piercecountyhistorical.org>
Subject: Re: Unknown Donor New Donations
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2023 16:31:42 +0000

Hello,

We use the Year.Collection#.Item# system of assessioning, and we reserve th e "000" collection number each year for items we refer to as "Found in coll ection" or items where we don't know the source. For example, if found or donated anonymously this year, it would be catalogued as: 2023.000.001 and
 then the next one this year would be 2023.000.002.

Hope this is helpful. Feel free to email me directly if my response doesn' t make sense. Interested to hear how other organizations handle them.

Thanks, Julie Huebel Pierce County Historical Association jhuebel@piercecountyhistorical.org

________________________________ From: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu < <localhistory-request@listser ve.uwec.edu> on behalf of Taylor County Historical Society <tchistoricalsoc iety@gmail.com> Sent: Friday, April 21, 2023 12:00 PM To: Local History List Serve <localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu> Subject: Unknown Donor New Donations

Hello Everyone,

I am wondering how you accession a donation you receive in the mail that ha s no identification of the donor.

We periodically receive donations such as postcards or photos that are mail ed to us with no identification of the donor, no return address etc.

We do have a category for found in collection items that we could probably use, but I was wondering if anyone has a better solution.

Thank you. Sara Nuernberger President Taylor County Historical Society Medford, WI