RE: THIS WEEK BHG lecture 9/13 - "Native Art and Culture at Maa Wakacak" (hybrid event)

BHG Secretary (bhg.secretary1@gmail.com)
Mon, 11 Sep 2023 11:35:21 -0500

From: BHG Secretary <bhg.secretary1@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 11:35:21 -0500
Subject: RE: THIS WEEK BHG lecture 9/13 - "Native Art and Culture at Maa Wakacak" (hybrid event)

*PLEASE CIRCULATE*

[image: 230330-Melanie-Sainz-007 copy.jpg] Caption: Melanie is standing in front of a *ciporoke* with one of her hand-crafted bags at *Maa Wakacak* by the Art Studio. (Image credit: Beth Skogen Photography)

The Badger History Group (BHG) is gearing up for our 2023-2024 lecture-series season on new presentation nights - the 2nd Wednesdays of each month from September through May! Please join us for our first lecture on *Wednesday, September 13, 2023 at 7pm with **Melanie Tallmadge-Sainz (Ho Chunk) who will present, "Native Art and Culture at **Maa* *Wakacak**.**"* A visual artist, an art educator, and the founding Director of Little Eagle Arts Foundation (LEAF), Melanie was born in Baraboo and raised in the Wisconsin Dells area. Her parents Roger Tallmadge (Dakota) and Bernadine Miner Tallmadge (Ho-Chunk) worked at the “Powder Plant” in the late 1940s and later operated the Winnebago Public Indian Museum from 1953-2000. Since 2019 LEAF has leased the old firehouse on the Ho-Chunk tribal land called * Maa Wakacak* (Ho-Chunk place name meaning sacred land). Along with being a working art studio, *Maa Wakacak* Art Studio hosts a variety of cultural gatherings for tribal members, public pop-up and Fall Art Tour art markets, educational workshops, and tours for visitors throughout the spring, summer, and fall months. Melanie will share her journey as a cultural arts professional and a creative community builder through images and stories.

This will be a hybrid event starting at 7pm via Zoom and in-person at the Museum of Badger Army Ammunition. *NOTE: The Zoom link will be posted on our **website Activities page ONE DAY PRIOR
<https://badgerhistorygroup.org/activities/>** to the event *- put it on your calendar to check back! We encourage you to register in advance for the Zoom or Museum event to get reminders about this event - send an email to to bhg.secretary1@gmail.com.

*S**upport this lecture series and future **programs**, become a member of the Badger History Group!*

--

Heather Sonntag Secretary, Badger History Group Email: bhg.secretary1@gmail.com Website: https://badgerhistorygroup.org/

BADGER HISTORY GROUP

*Collecting, preserving and sharing the histories of the Badger Army Ammunition Plant and the Sauk prairie.* 230330-Melanie-Sainz-007 copy.jpg