Community Symbols of the Revolutionary War

Zachary F. Dickhut (zacdickhut@yahoo.com)
Fri, 16 Feb 2024 09:41:18 -0600

From: "Zachary F. Dickhut" <zacdickhut@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2024 09:41:18 -0600
Subject: Community Symbols of the Revolutionary War

Hello All,

I’m Zac Dickhut, assistant curator with the Wisconsin Veterans Museu m. Ahead of the nation’s 250th anniversary, I’m working on a
 project identifying public symbols related to the Revolutionary War located
 in Wisconsin communities.

When our state was opened for white settlement, the war and the constitution al convention were within living memory, and many symbols now scatter the st ate. I’m seeking to form a comprehensive list of these symbols, incl uding namesakes.

Examples include (but are not limited to) Public memorials and statues Street names City/municipality names School names Grave markers of revolutionary veterans (of which there are a few)

Some finite examples: Green County (named after Nathaniel Green) Washington County (named after Ge orge Washington) streets in downtown Madison being named after signers of th e Constitution, Madison itself being named after the architect of the Consti tution, etc.

Please reply (not reply all) to this email in the coming days with any known
 public references in your communities or areas to revolutionary figures.

Thanks in advance,

Zac Dickhut