RE: Liberal Campuses?

Drumm, Daniel L. (DRUMM@uwec.edu)
Thu, 2 Dec 2004 12:52:45 -0600

Subject: RE: Liberal Campuses?
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 12:52:45 -0600
From: "Drumm, Daniel L." <DRUMM@uwec.edu>

Conservatives and the trailing media frame this as an accusation.
"Liberal" is assumed to be a dirty word. Just like McCarthy calling academics communists. Increasingly, the conservative agenda is to frame the debate so that the opposition is in a loose / loose situation. If we point out the flaws in the study, then we are seen as backing away from the term liberal and lending support the "dirty word" notion.

I think, or hope, that most academics are liberal. I think the proper response is to agree with the accusation and point out that more educated people are often more liberal.

-- Dan