Liberal Arts/Politcal Liberalism

Kate Hale (halecl@uwec.edu)
Thu, 02 Dec 2004 14:37:17 -0600

Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 14:37:17 -0600
Subject: Liberal Arts/Politcal Liberalism
From: Kate Hale <halecl@uwec.edu>

One instructive exercise: look up ³liberal² in the Oxford English Dictionar y and note how both positive & negative connotations are woven into the differing definitions.

I want to clarify that I am not thinking the UWS group should back off from the word ³liberal² in either phrase (l. arts, l. education). My point is simply that those we hope to reach already have, for the most part, a conception of the word. In speaking about the role of the liberal arts, or of a liberal education, we will need to be alert to how those to whom we speak ³hear² the word.

Some in the UWS group want to avoid ³liberal arts,² hearing it as a discipline-based term. I understand that, but I also think it is less likely than ³liberal education² to rile up the citizenry. Not that they oughtn¹t be riled up from time-to-time.

My own experience was that a liberal arts education did liberalize both my theology and my politics. Maybe that speaks to Dan¹s point in his earlier post . . . . What do others think? Is that kind of liberalization a natura l outgrowth of studying the liberal arts? I should add that I took my B.A. from a small, private church-support LA college‹which was decidedly not politically or theologically liberal. So it was not that my professors had a ³liberal agenda²--I would argue that it was something inherent in the studies themselves.

I¹d love to hear more if people are interested in continuing this, or we ca n take it to private email if others would prefer. It is a busy time of the semester.

Thanks-- Kate Hale English