Re: Call Congress Wed.: No New War Spending!

Grossman, Zoltan C. (GROSSMZC@uwec.edu)
Wed, 9 Feb 2005 07:49:50 -0600

Subject: FW: Call Congress Wed.: No New War Spending!
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 07:49:50 -0600
From: "Grossman, Zoltan C." <GROSSMZC@uwec.edu>

-----Original Message----- From: UFPJ Action Alerts [mailto:listmaster@unitedforpeace.org] Sent: Tue 2/8/2005 8:30 PM Subject: Call Congress Wed.: No New War Spending!

ACTION ALERT * UNITED FOR PEACE AND JUSTICE http://www.unitedforpeace.org | 212-868-5545
============================================ REMINDER: NATIONAL CALL-IN DAY TO OPPOSE WAR SPENDING WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 9, 2005

$80 BILLION MORE FOR THE IRAQ WAR? NO WAY! BRING THE TROOPS HOME NOW

Contact your member of Congress: no new war spending! Congressional Switchboard 202-224-3121 (9-5 EST)
============================================ This week George W. Bush submitted his 2006 budget request to Congress: a $2.5 trillion statement about the administration's plan to slash social programs while increasing military spending. Yet not a single dime of his FY 2006 budget is earmarked for Iraq. Instead, those costs will be hidden from the American people in the form of an $80 billion emergency supplemental request to Congress later this week. The President's fourth supplemental spending request for the Iraq war will add $80 billion to the more than $151 billion already appropriated.

When President Bush submitted his 2006 budget to Congress on Monday he said, "The taxpayers of America don't want us spending our money into something that's not achieving results." We couldn't agree more. The people of U.S. can't allow Congress to pour more money to "stay the course" of a tragic, failed war.
  The U.S. peace movement and its allies have created tremendous openings in the debate on bringing the troops home over the past two weeks. 55 percent of the U.S. public feels that the war was not worth it, Congresswoman Lynn Woolsey introduced an important resolution calling on the U.S. to start withdrawal from Iraq, and Senator Ted Kennedy is raising critical questions about the need to bring the troops home.

Our task now is to get ahead of the curve and send an early and clear message to Congress that their constituents will be monitoring them throughout the $80 billion debate over the future of the Iraq war. Tell your Member of Congress on Wednesday that not one more dime should go to waging war in Iraq. Instead, the U.S. must end the occupation, bring our troops home, and support Iraqi sovereignty. It is time for us to demand that the Administration and Congress stop perpetuating the cycle of violence in Iraq, stop sending so many soldiers and civilians to their graves, and stop diverting precious resources that could be used to rebuild Iraq and fund critical domestic needs.

Congress is expected to ultimately vote on Bush's Iraq supplemental in late March or early April. UFPJ will continue to send updates and action alerts as the debate unfolds.

TAKE ACTION ON WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 9!

. Call, write, or fax your Member of Congress! Call the Capitol switchboard and ask to be connected with your Senators and Representatives, 202-224-3121 (9-5 EST). We want to flood Congressional offices with calls from every district in the nation. See below for talking points.

TALKING POINTS Tell your members of Congress that when they receive Bush's $80 billion supplemental appropriation request they should:

1. Oppose new funds: Congress should halt new funds for U.S. military operations in Iraq. Any new funds should be allocated solely for troop withdrawal and interim troop protection.

2. End the occupation: Halt U.S. military actions immediately, shift U.S. troops immediately to the borders of Iraq, declare intention to begin full withdrawal of troops, and leave no U.S. bases behind. Support the Woolsey (D-CA) resolution calling on the President to begin the immediate withdrawal of U.S. troops from Iraq.

3. Support Iraqi sovereignty: Give Iraqis full control over reconstruction funds, Iraqi ministries and government, and new police and security forces. Terminate contracts with U.S. companies and turn projects over to Iraqis, and provide transparent accounting of all U.S. contracts.

4. Stabilize Iraq: Commit to long-term U.S. financial support for Iraqi-led reconstruction and allow the UN and other international agencies to support Iraq democracy free from U.S. intervention, and if the Iraqis want that assistance.

5. Provide real support for our troops: End the "stop-loss" policies that keep troops on active duty far beyond their contracts, and overextend the Reserves and National Guard. Provide thorough psychological counseling, health care, and benefits to returning Iraq war veterans and their families. Bring our troops home!

=========================================== UFPJ 2nd NATIONAL ASSEMBLY * Feb 19-21, St. Louis Anti-war strategy & planning meeting Register now: http://www.unitedforpeace.org/assembly
=========================================== SATURDAY, MARCH 19: GLOBAL DAY OF PROTEST ON THE TWO-YEAR ANNIVERSARY OF THE IRAQ WAR
* End the War * Bring the Troops Home Now * Rebuild Our Communities * Visit http://www.unitedforpeace.org for more information and to endorse