Re:want to be on radio today?

Kate Hale (halecl@uwec.edu)
Mon, 14 Mar 2005 09:08:11 -0600

Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 09:08:11 -0600
Subject: FW:want to be on radio today?
From: Kate Hale <halecl@uwec.edu>

I know Julie from Women in Black‹and am forwarding this note to you all in case someone is available.

Kate
------ Forwarded Message From: Julie Pangallo <juliep@maverick-media.ws> Reply-To: <eauclairewib@yahoogroups.com> Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 09:19:05 -0600 To: <eauclairewib@yahoogroups.com> Subject: RE: [eauclairewib] Teach In Today, Tomorrow, Tuesday

Hi-- I know this is late notice...but is anyone available to do a 15 minute on-air conversation today regarding peace, the teach-in, the anniversary--you know, related topics. The guest they had scheduled for At Your Service, 12:15-12:30, on WAYY 790AM, had to cancel today and they asked if I might know of someone who could jump in. Considering what's going on this week, I think it's a great opportunity to tell people about it. If someone from WIB or from the teach-in is available, please contact me ASAP. Thanks!!! Julie
  Julie Pangallo Maverick Media WAXX-92.9 Classic Rock-ESPN P.O. Box 1 Eau Claire, WI 54702 Phone: 715-832-1530 Fax: 715-832-5329 E: juliep@maverick-media.ws
"Suspend Disbelief. If you must doubt something, doubt your limits. Doubt s are not the product of accurate thinking, but of habitual thinking. Change your thinking...and change your world."

Speak
> Out www.mfso.org <http://www.mfso.org/>
>
> Georgia Stillwell (Army mom), and military veterans discuss and speak
> out.Š..
>
> *
> * Military families
> *
> *
> * Abuse of Reserve and National Guard
> *
> *
> * Non-fatal casualties
> *
> *
> * Treatment of returning vets
> *
> *
> * Rights of dissenting personnel
>

> 2:15-3:30 PANEL: EFFECTS OF WAR ON IRAQI CIVILIANS Council Fire
>
> Todd Dennis (6-year Navy vet, Eau Claire);
>
> Ben Kohler (Center for Victims of Torture, Minneapolis www.cvt.org
> <http://www.cvt.org/> ), others
>
> *
> * Iraqi casualties and deaths
> *
> *
> * Torture (officially "stress and duress")
> *
> *
> * Psychological impacts
> *
> *
> * Impacts on civilian infrastructure
> *
> *
> * Depleted Uranium (DU) munitions
> *
> *
> * Effects of war on Iraqi environment, water
>

> 3:45-5:00 pm PANEL: WE ARE NOT ALONE Council Fire
>
> Peace movement organizing and activism in the U.S. & Western WI.
>
> Cathy Sultan (National Peace Foundation: www.nationalpeace.org
> <http://www.nationalpeace.org/> Eau Claire),
>
> Marion Lang (Red Cedar Peace Initiative, www.wispeace.org
> <http://www.wispeace.org/> Menomonie)
>
> Jonathan Dedering (www.savewisconsin.org <http://www.savewisconsin.org/>
> Reedsburg), and othersŠ
>

> 5:15 pm DINNER for informal networking El Patio, 228 Water Street
>

> 7:00-9:00 pm KEYNOTE BY JOHN STAUBER Council Fire
>

> ³Weapons of Mass Decept
ion:

> The Media and Propaganda in a State of Perpetual War
>
> Executive Director of th
> Center on Media and Democracy
>
> (Madison) and founder of P.R. Watch www.prwatch.org
> <http://www.prwatch.org/>
>
> Co-author of Weapons of Mass Deception, Banana Republicans,Toxic Sludge
is
> Good For You, and other books.
>
> MONDAY, MARCH 14
>
> BACKGROUND WORKSHOPS ON IRAQ WAR & THE WAR AT HOME
>

> 1:00-1:50 pm HISTORY & FUTURE OF U.S.
>
> MILITARY INTERVENTIONS Ho-Chunk
>
> Zoltan Grossman (Geography)
> www.uwec.edu/grossmzc/interventions.html
> <http://www.uwec.edu/grossmzc/interventions.html>
>

> 2:00-2:50 pm WHO¹S WHO IN IRAQ:
>
> POLITICAL PARTIES & INSURGENTS Menominee
>
> Ali Abootalabi (PoliSci) Kate Lang (History)
>

> 3:00-3:50 pm ECONOMIC COSTS OF IRAQ WAR
>
> TO CURRENT & FUTURE GENERATIONS Ho-Chunk
>
> Larry Glenn (SFPJ), Thomas Kemp (Economics) www.costofwa
r.com
> <http://www.costofwar.com/>
>

> 4:00-5:00 pm CIVIL LIBERTIES IN WARTIME
>
> AND THE RISE OF FASCISM Menominee
>
> Bob Nowlan (English) of Chippewa Valley ACLU
>

> 7:00-8:30 pm VIDEO & DISCUSSION: ³UNCONSTITUTIONAL:
>
> THE WAR ON OUR CIVIL LIBERTIES² Menominee
>

> TUESDAY, MARCH 15
>

> WORKSHOPS ON GROUP PERSPECTIVES
>

> 12:00-12:50 pm ISRAELIS & PALESTINIANS:
>
> A DIALOGUE WITH BOTH SIDES Alumni
>
> Book reading by Cathy Sultan
>

> 1:00-1:50 pm WOMEN¹S INVOLVEMENT
>
> AND FEMINIST PERSPECTIVES Ho-Chunk
>
> Asha Sen (English), Theresa Kemp (English),
>
> Molly Seaver (Campus Feminists)
>

> 2:00-2:50 pm RELIGIOUS COMMUNITY
>
> INVOLVEMENT Menominee
>
> Virginia Wolf, Ken Sullivan, others
>

> 3:00-3:50 pm ACTIVISM FOR THE HEALTH OF IRAQIS Ho-Chunk
>
> Mike Miles, John LaForge (Anathoth Community, Luck)
>
> www.peacenorth.org <http://www.peacenorth.org/> and www.nukewatch.com
> <http://www.nukewatch.com/> )
>

> 4:00-5:30 pm STUDENTS AND THE DRAFT Menominee
>
> Recruitment, Draft Registration, Conscription, Conscientious Objector (C
O)
> [...]
>
> Organized by campus/community groups to culminate week of activities.
>
> Open to all college and high school students, faculty, staff, and commun
ity
> members.
>
> PEACE DREAMS ~ WHISPERS IN THE WIND Presented at Peace Rally
>
> During the Iraq War Teach-In, you (the participants) will be creating a
> string of fabric peace flags, ribbons, and banners as an expression of o
ur
> grief for all those affected by the war, and our hopes for peace.
> Participants may create and design their own flag, ribbon or banner to b
ring,
> or create one during the week with the materials provided. Entitled ³Pe
ace
> Dreams~Whispers In The Wind² this collective artwork will be a colorful
> reminder of our hopes and be used by area groups in future peace activit
ies.
> For information contact Bethany: bj-flagpeacework@triwest.net
>

> TEACH-IN SPONSORS
>
> Get involved!
>
> Eau Claire Staff & Faculty for Peace and Justice (SFPJ)
>
> www.uwec.edu/sfpj <http://www.uwec.edu/sfpj> Rick Richmond:
> rrichmon@uwec.edu <mailto:rrichmon@uwec.edu>
>
> Progressive Student Association (PSA)
>
> Andrew Werthmann: werthmaf@uwec.edu <mailto:werthmaf@uwec.edu>
>
> Amnesty International (AI)
>
> Aaron Kroska: kroskaaj@uwec.edu <mailto:kroskaaj@uwec.edu> Meets in Davi
es
> Eagle Room
>
> every other Thursday, 6-7 pm (Mar.31, Apr 28, May 5).
>
> Eau Claire Peace Coalition
>
> Elizabeth Preston: prestoe@uwec.edu <mailto:prestoe@uwec.edu>
>
> Military Families Speak Out
>
> www.mfso.org <http://www.mfso.org/> Eau Claire contact Steve Wagener
:
> swagener@sehinc.com <mailto:swagener@sehinc.com>
>
> Women in Black Karen Pope popekj@uwec.edu <mailto:popekj@uwec.edu>
>
> The Association of University of Wisconsin Professionals (TAUWP) Americ
an

> Federation of Teachers (AFT) Local 3535.
>
> Rick Richmond rrichmon@uwec.edu <mailto:rrichmon@uwec.edu>

-----
> ------------
>
> WOMEN IN BLACK SATURDAY VIGILS, 12:00-1:00
>
> Every Saturday (including 12 March and 19 March), corner of Hastings &
> Brackett
>
> PSA WEDNESDAY PEACE VIGILS, 4:00-5:00 pm
>
> Every Wednesday, State & Garfield
>

> Donations for this event: Make checks payable to ³Chippewa Valley Comm
unity
> Action Coalition,² and note in the memo line that they are for the
> ³Teach-In.² Contributions should be sent to Kate Hale, 1403 Frederic Str
eet,
> Eau Claire, WI 54701.
>

> Many thanks to all those who have helped out with this teach-in, and to
all
> those who have persevered and kept hope aliveŠ..

.org
> <http://www.epic-usa.org/>
>
> Electronic Iraq
> www.ElectronicIraq.net <http://www.electroniciraq.net/>