RE: need help answering a call about the "teach-in"

Grossman, Zoltan C. (GROSSMZC@uwec.edu)
Mon, 14 Mar 2005 10:26:30 -0600

Subject: RE: need help answering a call about the "teach-in"
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 10:26:30 -0600
From: "Grossman, Zoltan C." <GROSSMZC@uwec.edu>

Andrew,

This is not a UWEC teach-in, but a teach-in put on by campus groups at Davies Center. The (minimal) costs have been entirely footed by the sponsoring organizations: SFPJ, PSA, Amnesty International, etc. The university facilities are open to any campus groups to put on informational events. There have been events on the war and foreign policy from many other perspectives as well. The teach-in contributes to the atmosphere of dialogue on campus.

Zoltan Grossman SFPJ

-----Original Message----- From: Phillips, Andrew T. Sent: Mon 3/14/2005 9:59 AM To: Grossman, Zoltan C. Subject: FW: need help answering a call about the "teach-in"

        I took a call from an irate local citizen who wants to know the following about the UW-Eau Claire "teach-in" this week:

        1) Who's footing the bill? Is tax payer money being used here since some activities are in Davies Center?
        2) Are any of the organizations paying for access to our facilities, or are we (UWEC) covering the costs?
        3) Where's the budget info?
        4) Who organized this?

        She wants a copy of the budget -- presumably showing who's paying, and for what. Specifically, I think she wants to know if her tax dollars are supporting this in some form. You can see where she is going with this, and I don't think there's any point in trying to debate her. She never let me say a word when she talked at me.

        Can you help me get this info to send to her?

        Andrew T. Phillips
        Interim Associate Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
        212A Schofield Hall
        University of Wisconsin - Eau Claire
        Eau Claire, WI 54702-4004

        Phone: (715) 836-5262