No War, No Peace: Crisis and Opportunity in Post-Tsunami Sri Lanka

Goulet, Marc R. (gouletmr@uwec.edu)
Thu, 5 May 2005 12:52:52 -0500

Subject: No War, No Peace: Crisis and Opportunity in Post-Tsunami Sri Lanka
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 12:52:52 -0500
From: "Goulet, Marc R." <gouletmr@uwec.edu>

FORUM PRESENTATION

RITA WEBB, NONVIOLENT PEACEFORCE TEAM MEMBER IN SRI LANKA

Sunday, May 15

8:45 to 9:45 a.m.

UUC sanctuary

No War, No Peace: Crisis and Opportunity in Post-Tsunami Sri Lanka

From Rita:

"The situation in the East where I am posted is the most volatile in the country, although there is trouble enough to go around. A prominent Tamil journalist was abducted and murdered last week in Colombo for example; and last night there was a big explosion up the street from our office in Batticaloa District, which we presume was a grenade aimed at the local EPDP office, which has been attacked repeatedly, as they are seen as key political rivals to the main faction of the LTTE (which is why their offices tend to be adjacent to Sri Lanka army camps, to little effect apparently). Soldiers running past our gate said there was "no problem"...a common Sri Lankan (public) response no matter what! It's extremely complex, especially post-tsunami, and I'll try to give a sense of the complexities, our team's work, and the current efforts in our district from creating a civil society to responding to the violence that so proscribes and threatens the lives and livelihoods of the Tamil people. "

For more information on the Nonviolent Peaceforce, go to www.nonviolentpeaceforce.org