Re: Plan Colombia Hearing in IR Cmte 5/11

Drumm, Daniel L. (DRUMM@uwec.edu)
Thu, 5 May 2005 16:18:58 -0500

Subject:  FW: Plan Colombia Hearing in IR Cmte 5/11
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 16:18:58 -0500
From: "Drumm, Daniel L." <DRUMM@uwec.edu>

Calling all advocates from: AZ; AK; CA; CO; FL; IL; IN; IA; KY; MA; MI; MN; NE; NV; NJ; NY; OH; OR; SC; TX; VA; WA; WI Take Action! House IR Committee Hearing on Colombia- May 11th Tell the Committee We Want a New Policy!

May 5, 2005

Dear Colombia Advocates, I want to start off by thanking everyone who called Congress last week for the National Call-In Day on Colombia. Thousands of calls and faxes were made or sent. Great job! I also want to apologize for a technical glitch that caused the action alert to be sent out multiple times. No, this wasn't an experimental organizing tactic! We NEVER want to flood your inbox with messages. We've worked with the technical team at our listserv, and the problem has been solved, for good we hope. Thank you so much for your patience last week.

Now- on to new, important news. We've just learned that the House International Relations Committee will be holding a hearing on Colombia next Wednesday, May 11th. They'll be hearing from the usual suspects, including John Walters, the U.S. Drug Czar, about the successes of Plan Colombia. We need to show them that there is another side to the story. If you live in the district of one of the members of Congress listed below, we need your help!

A quick phone call or e-mail to their office will help balance the stacked deck-- and may result in members of the committee asking some tough questions of the witnesses. Let's not let this opportunity slip by! If the committee members don't hear from us, they'll be hearing mainly from people who believe that Plan Colombia has worked, and that we need more of the same. We need to voice a strong call for change.
*A sample phone call script, which can also be used as the basis for an e-mail, can be found below.* Here are the members of the IR Committee. If you don't know who your member of Congress is, see http://www.house.gov/writerep.
 You can reach your member's office by calling the Congressional Switchboard at 202-224-3121. It's best to ask to speak with the foreign policy staffer when you call. Arizona: Flake (R-AZ) Arkansas: Boozman (R-AR) California: Rohrabacher (R-CA) Berman (D-CA) Gallegly (R-CA) Royce (R-CA) Sherman (D-CA) Issa (R-CA) Lee (D-CA) Watson (D-CA) Schiff (D-CA) Napolitano (D-CA) Cardoza (D-CA) Colorado: Tancredo (R-CO) Florida: Ros-Lehtinen (R-FL) Wexler (D-FL) Harris (R-FL) Mack (R-FL) Illinois: Hyde (R-IL) Weller (R-IL) Indiana: Burton (R-IN) Pence (R-IN) Iowa: Leach (R-IA) Kentucky: Chandler (D-KY) Massachusetts: Delahunt (D-MA) Michigan: McCotter (R-MI) Minnesota: McCollum (D-MN) Nebraska: Fortenberry (R-NE) Nevada: Berkley (D-NV) New Jersey: Menendez (D-NJ) Chris Smith (R-NJ) Payne (D-NJ) New York: Ackerman (D-NY) King (R-NY) Engel (D-NY) Meeks (D-NY) Crowley (D-NY) Ohio: Brown (D-OH) Chabot (R-OH) Oregon: Blumenauer (D-OR) South Carolina: Barrett (R-SC) Wilson (R-SC) Texas: Paul (R-TX) McCaul (R-TX) Poe (R-TX) Virginia: Davis (R-VA) Washington: Smith (D-WA) Wisconsin: Green (R-WI)

Sample call script (calls are best, but this script can be revised to send as an e-mail): I'm a constituent from ____ calling with regards to the upcoming hearing on Plan Colombia. I know that Rep. ____ will be hearing from a number of witnesses on Wednesday who will express support for the current policy of military aid and fumigation. I'd like my representative to challenge the witnesses on that point, because the current policy hasn't worked.

The Office of National Drug Control Policy recently came out with a report that showed that drug production in Colombia didn't budge last year, even though a record number of acres of coca were sprayed. The price of cocaine on our streets hasn't changed, either. Fumigation is an ineffective and inhumane policy, and a waste of our money.

I'm also disturbed that human rights violations by the Colombian military have increased since U.S. aid began. I would like ___ (member of Congress) to voice [his/her] concern over this policy during the hearing-- and when Colombia aid comes up for a vote, I'd like [him/her] to vote for a change, and prioritize social assistance instead of military aid.

It's up to us to show the IR Committee that there is more than one perspective on Colombia policy. Together, we can make change! Thank you, as always, for your hard work and dedication. Feel free to e-mail me with any questions or concerns. Best, Elanor

--
Elanor Starmer
Associate for Colombia and Central America