RE: Spectator coverage of a current issue

Wesenberg, Nancy Christine (WESENBNC@uwec.edu)
Thu, 12 May 2005 10:02:37 -0500

Subject: RE: Spectator coverage of a current issue
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 10:02:37 -0500
From: "Wesenberg, Nancy Christine" <WESENBNC@uwec.edu>

In the LGBT Center letter, we mention that everyone knows that LGBT students face potential hostility from some of their peers, and we believe that public school teachers, regardless of their private views, need to role model respectful behavior and encourage mutual understanding and respect, or, at the very least, tolerance of differences. I think we can argue that how students are treated in public schools is definitely a matter of public concern. It has been since Columbine occurred. Nancy

________________________________

From: Mowry, Donald D. Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2005 9:47 AM To: Alea, Mary Ellen; Wesenberg, Nancy Christine; Hale, C. Kate; sfpj@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: RE: Spectator coverage of a current issue

Dear SFPJ list members,
  I am new to the list and someone may have already shared this resource, but a helpful site on the web is the First Amendment Schools project at www.firstamendmentschools.org
  I really do not yet understand all the specifics and intricacies of this issue. It seems that no matter how quick I am to defend the teacher in this case, it is also important to understand many other factors, such as what the school board has in place regarding the approved curriculum. I am not a lawyer, and over the past year I have learned how complex and dynamic the law can be in controversial areas.
  For example, from the website mentioned above is the following entry under frequently asked questions:
  Does a school violate the First Amendment if it disciplines a teacher for speech that touches on a matter of public concern?

It depends. It is important to remember that the test developed by the Pickering-Connick line of cases has two basic prongs. First, the court must determine whether the speech in question touches on a matter of public concern. If it does not, the teacher will not receive any First Amendment protection. If the speech does touch on a matter of public concern, the court proceeds to the balancing prong of the test. At that point, the court must balance the public school teacher's interest in commenting upon a matter of public concern against the school officials' interest in promoting an efficient workplace of public service.

Some balancing factors for a court to consider include

* whether the statement impairs discipline by superiors or harmony among coworkers,

* whether the statement has a detrimental impact on close working relationships for which personal loyalty and confidence are necessary, and

* whether the speech in question interferes with the normal operation of the employer's business.

Sometimes in considering these factors, the courts will side with school officials in a First Amendment lawsuit although the public school teachers' speech touches upon a matter of public concern. In one recent case, for example, the Eighth Circuit determined that a school principal did not violate the First Amendment rights of three teachers who were ordered to quit talking about the care and education of special needs students.1
<http://www.firstamendmentschools.org/freedoms/faq.aspx?id=12820#foot1>

Subsequent appeals in the case acknowledged that the teachers' complaints about the lack of care for special needs students touched on matters of public concern. Nonetheless, the appeals court noted that the teachers' speech "resulted in school factions and disharmony among their co-workers and negatively impacted [the principal's] interest in efficiently administering the middle school."2
<http://www.firstamendmentschools.org/freedoms/faq.aspx?id=12820#foot2>

Conversely, the Eleventh Circuit reached a different conclusion in the case of Belyeu v. Coosa County Board of Education.3
<http://www.firstamendmentschools.org/freedoms/faq.aspx?id=12820#foot3>

In this decision, a teacher's aide alleged that school officials failed to rehire her because of a speech she made about racial issues at a PTA meeting. The aide said the school should adopt a program to commemorate Black History month. Immediately after the meeting, the principal asked to speak with her and told her he wished she had raised this issue privately rather than publicly. A lower court determined that the speech clearly touched on a matter of public concern, but that the school system's interest in avoiding racial tensions outweighed the aide's right to free speech. On appeal, however, the Eleventh Circuit reversed, writing that the aide's "remarks did not disrupt the School System's function by enhancing racial division, nor, based on the nature or context of her remarks, was her speech likely to do so."4
<http://www.firstamendmentschools.org/freedoms/faq.aspx?id=12820#foot4>

Notes

1 Fales v. Garst, 235 F.3d 1122 (8th Cir. 2001).

2 Id. at 1124.

3 Belyeu v. Coosa County Bd. of Education, 998 F.2d 925 (11th Cir. 1993).

4 Id. at 929.

Given the legal decisions above, and if this does become a longer, protracted struggle over which matters of public concern are accepted as appropriate to discuss in our local public schools, it may be critical to be as informed as possible. It also seems to suggest that it may also be important to participate in these "difficult dialogues" in a calm and respectful manner, so as not to disrupt the school functioning, as this could be used to justify denying First Amendment rights of teachers to include certain matters of public concern in the curriculum.

Just my current thoughts, Don Mowry