Re: the Franklin situation

Preston, Elizabeth (PRESTOE@uwec.edu)
Mon, 16 May 2005 09:07:46 -0500

Subject: FW: the Franklin situation
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 09:07:46 -0500
From: "Preston, Elizabeth" <PRESTOE@uwec.edu>

Below, a copy of a response from a school board member.

Can we get students to file Sexual Harassment Complaints against teachers who teach heterosexuality? I know I, for one, as a teacher of the novel, teach it "normatively" and daily, thereby harassing my gay students.

Preston

-----Original Message----- From: Carol Olson [mailto:csolson_1@charter.net] Sent: Mon 5/16/2005 7:49 AM To: Preston, Elizabeth Subject: RE: the Franklin situation
  Dear Dr. Preston,

      Thanks so much for your letter. Our board members appreciate hearing from you. One of the frustrations regarding this whole issue has been the fact that our attorney has advised us not to comment publicly. A parent of an 11th grade student at Memorial High School has filed a Sexual Harassment Complaint against the district following the Beth Franklin "incident". Because that "incident" is now under investigation (following Board Policy), we can not comment. It is my goal as President of the ECASD Board of Education, to continue efforts that will insure that ALL of our schools offer a rigorous curriculum and remain places that promote critical thinking and are free to challenge other's points of view...Thanks for writing,

Carol Olson