Re: Film Critical of GMOs opens SEPTEMBER 30! Special Event Announcement

Nowlan, Robert A. (RANOWLAN@uwec.edu)
Fri, 23 Sep 2005 18:54:00 -0500

Subject: FW: Film Critical of GMOs opens SEPTEMBER 30! Special Event Announcement
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 18:54:00 -0500
From: "Nowlan, Robert A." <RANOWLAN@uwec.edu>

Greetings, All: Some of you might find this upcoming screening run, and guest presentation/discussion -- in Minneapolis -- of interest. The team behind _The Corporation_ and _The Take_ are definitely committed progressive activists, and certainly dedicated to networking and building strong, transformative coalitions and alliances. This should prove worthwhile for those able to attend--and is a definite possibility for the progressive film festival some of us have been discussing the prospect of putting together here in Eau Claire/at UWEC soon.

Best,

Bob Nowlan

-----Original Message----- From: The Future of Food [mailto:futureoffood@hellocoolworld.com] Sent: Friday, September 23, 2005 6:42 PM To: Nowlan, Robert A. Subject: Film Critical of GMOs opens SEPTEMBER 30! Special Event Announcement

Dear Supporters,

As the grassroots team behind the films The Corporation and The Take, we are excited to be working on our latest project - THE FUTURE OF FOOD - a groundbreaking documentary by Deborah Koons Garcia. The film is an alarming expose about the hidden arrival of genetically engineered foods into our stores and on to our plates, with more than a little help from the multinational agribusinesses controlling our food supply. Yet the film is ultimately hopeful, envisioning a future where an informed consumer can demand healthy food choices, and features insightful and moving interviews with farmers, scientists and policymakers.

To view the trailer, visit: www.TheFutureofFood.com/trailer.htm

We have just confirmed a new screening that's in your area and are quickly trying to mobilize support! The Future of Food opens FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 30th at BELL AUDITORIUM in MINNEAPOLIS. We've created a poster about the Minneapolis launch, available to download on our grassroots toolkit page. Help spread the word and get people into the theater to watch this important film: www.TheFutureofFood.com/grassroots

For those of you taking part in tomorrow's international day of action calling for an end to the war in Iraq, this would be a great place to pass out materials and promote the film! Iraqi farmers are subject to US-imposed patent laws that make it illegal to save and replant new seeds, and push for the use of genetically modified varieties. (This news placed 8th on Project Censored's list of the most overlooked stories of 2004 to 2005. For more info, see http://projectcensored.org/)

We are also thrilled to announce a special discussion on Sunday, October 2nd after the 7:15 screening of the film. Guest panelists RONNIE CUMMINS
(Author, Genetically Engineered Food: A Self-Defense Guide for Consumers) and MARK RITCHIE (President, Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy) join filmmaker DEBORAH KOONS GARCIA as they weigh in on
"The Future of Organics".

The Future of Food has already launched in New York and Los Angeles to sell out crowds and there is a huge buzz building about it. Public demand is growing to know more about the health and safety concerns behind GMOs and industrialized agriculture, yet this weekend public television is airing a Monsanto-sponsored program about American farming in breach of their own impartiality guidelines.

We would love to see the film do well in Minneapolis and have summarized all the information below for you to easily cut and paste to email lists.

If you have any questions or would like to volunteer with outreach for the film, please email: thefutureoffood@hellocoolworld.com

Thanks for your support!

Cheers, Chrissy Poulos Outreach Coordinator for The Future of Food's Grassroots Team Good Company Communications Inc
(The same folks who brought you The Corporation and The Take)

****Please post the following to all list serves, blogs and any other relevant areas. If you could volunteer to help out with outreach for the film, that would be great -- see info at end of e-mail*****

OPENING FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 30! THE FUTURE OF FOOD - THEATRICAL RELEASE A film by Deborah Koons Garcia

Minneapolis, MN - Friday, September 30 Bell Auditorium 10 Church St. SE
(612) 331-3134 www.mnfilmarts.org/bell/ Showtimes: Mon-Fri: 7:15, 9:15 Sat/Sun: 3:15, 5:15, 7:15, 9:15*
*on Sunday, October 2, this screening will be at 10:00pm

"It really gets to the heart of the corporatization of our food system"

The Corporation Co-Director Mark Achbar says: "It's a great film about the issues. I sent one to my mother."

There is a revolution happening in the farm fields and on the dinner tables of America -- a revolution that is transforming the very nature of the food we eat.

THE FUTURE OF FOOD offers an in-depth investigation into the disturbing truth behind the unlabeled, patented, genetically engineered foods that have quietly filled U.S. grocery store shelves for the past decade.

>From the prairies of Saskatchewan, Canada to the fields of Oaxaca,
Mexico, this film gives a voice to farmers whose lives and livelihoods have been negatively impacted by this new technology. The health implications, government policies and push towards globalization are all part of the reason why many people are alarmed by the introduction of genetically altered crops into our food supply.

Shot on location in the U.S., Canada and Mexico, THE FUTURE OF FOOD examines the complex web of market and political forces that are changing what we eat as huge multinational corporations seek to control the world's food system. The film also explores alternatives to large-scale industrial agriculture, placing organic and sustainable agriculture as real solutions to the farm crisis today.

Eat locally, think globally. See this film.

To view the trailer visit: www.TheFutureofFood.com/trailer.htm

For more information about the film, visit: www.TheFutureofFood.com

WHAT THE PRESS HAS TO SAY:

"If you eat food, you need to see The Future of Food."
- Newstarget.com

"Ultimately, the film is a call to action -- for people to think more about the consequences of their food choices and to use their consumer power to push for labeling and regulation."
- Carol Ness, San Francisco Chronicle

"There is power in knowledge and that is the importance of The Future of Food. Deborah Koons Garcia has investigated the implications of GMO's, and her film is an important tool toward ensuring a healthy world for everyone."
- Alice Waters, Owner, Chez Panisse

"The Future of Food is an engaging and lucid presentation of not only the science of genetic engineering, but of the people and the politics behind what looks to be a pitched battle to control the global food supply."
- Denise Caruso, AlterNet

"...Not just for food faddists and nutritionists. It is a look at something we might not want to see: Monsanto, Roundup and Roundup-resistant seeds, collectively wreaking havoc on American farmers and our agricultural neighbors around the world."
- The Telluride Daily Planet

SPREAD THE WORD Help us create a buzz through your activist networks and beyond. In order for a film to reach the widest audience possible, we are relying on people to help spread the word via their networks & friends. It is especially important that people support the film during its first weekend, as the audience numbers will determine the length of its run in Minneapolis.

Organize a group to go to the film together this weekend & discuss the issues afterwards. Contact the theatre for group rates. Customize an invitation to promote your discussion.

For a detailed schedule of screenings, special events, speakers and panel discussions, along with cool posters to download and ways you can support The Future of Food, check out our grassroots page: www.TheFutureOfFood.com/grassroots

VOLUNTEERS NEEDED The Future of Food's grassroots organizing team (Good Company Communications who also did the campaign for THE CORPORATION) is based in Vancouver so we need your support in Minneapolis! Help make & distribute flyers, coordinate volunteers, etc.

To find out more or to volunteer, please email thefutureoffood@hellocoolworld.com

**Special Event Announcement**

Sunday, October 2nd - The Future of Organics A discussion with RONNIE CUMMINS, Organic Consumers Association (OCA), MARK RITCHIE, Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy (IATP), and DEBORAH KOONS GARCIA, The Future of Food.

The following questions will be addressed:

- How can we secure organics?
- Is it too expensive?
- Why consume organics?

The panel will follow the 7:15 PM screening of The Future of Food, beginning around 8:45 PM.

RONNIE CUMMINS The current national director of the OCA, Ronnie Cummins has been a public interest activist since the 1960s and is heavily involved in the campaign around sustainable agriculture. He is the author of Genetically Engineered Food: A Self-Defense Guide for Consumers. www.organicconsumers.org

MARK RITCHIE As president of the IATP in Minnesota, Mark Ritchie has helped to develop and advance trade policy beneficial to farmers, consumers, rural communities and the environment. In conjunction with his work at IATP, Ritchie serves as vice-chair of the Minnesota Institute for Sustainable Agriculture at the University of Minnesota. He is a member of the Commission on Globalization of the State of the World Forum, and was appointed to the official U.S. delegation to the Ministerial Meeting of the World Trade Organization.

In recognition of his work in the community, Ritchie received the Twin Cities International Citizens Award. He also was recognized by the University of Minnesota Academic Health Center for work on children's health and was named to Utne Reader's list of America's 100 visionaries of 1994. An accomplished speaker, Ritchie has presented at many national events, summits and conferences. www.iatp.org

DEBORAH KOONS GARCIA An award-winning filmmaker, Deborah Koons Garcia's work has played at film festivals, in theaters and on television. She was the instigator and chief Creative Consultant for Grateful Dawg, a documentary about the musical friendship between her husband Jerry Garcia and David Grisman.

Her current film, The Future of Food, was shown over a dozen times as a work in progress in Mendocino County, California before the March 2004 election and was the primary element in passing Measure H which bans the planting of genetically engineered crops in the county. The California Secretary of Food and Agriculture requested a copy of The Future of Food before he subsequently vetoed the planting of genetically engineered rice.

Please forward widely!

Follow the URL below to be removed from this email list: ranowlan@uwec.edu">http://www.hellocoolworld.com/remove.cfm?email=ranowlan@uwec.edu&sendmai l_id=1129