Good News!!! Department of Peace Introduced in the Senate

John & Liz Webster (webjljt@triwest.net)
Fri, 23 Sep 2005 13:27:48 -0500

From: "John & Liz Webster" <webjljt@triwest.net>
Subject: Good News!!! Department of Peace Introduced in the Senate
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 13:27:48 -0500

September 22, 2005

Press Release from the Office of Minnesota Senator Mark Dayton Dayton Introduces Legislation to Establish U.S. Department of Peace and Nonviolence

Bill would elevate Reagan-established "Institute of Peace" to Cabinet-level department

Washington, D.C. - U.S. Senator Mark Dayton today introduced legislation that would elevate the current, nonpartisan, federally-funded Institute of Peace to a Cabinet-level department, dedicated to the study and development of policies to promote peace and expand human rights. Dayton's Department of Peace and Nonviolence Act is the Senate counterpart to House legislation (H.R. 3760) introduced by Representative Dennis Kucinich (D-OH) and cosponsored by 59 members of Congress.

Speaking from the Senate floor, Dayton said, "If we are to remain the world's leader, and if we are to lead the world into a more secure and more prosperous future, we must become better known and more respected for our peacemaking successes than for our military forces. Peace, to have any lasting value, must be advanced, expanded and strengthened continuously. Doing so requires skill, dedication, persistence, resources, and, most importantly, people."

In addition to making it a Cabinet department, Dayton's legislation would expand the focus of the Institute of Peace, which was established by President Reagan in 1984, to include domestic issues. The Department of Peace and Nonviolence would serve as a preventive counterpart to the Department of State and the Department of Defense, which resolve international conflicts and defend the nation from attacks.

Currently, the U.S. spends $400 billion on national defense, not including the hundreds of billions being spent on the Iraq War. The Department of Peace budget would be $8 billion annually, equivalent to 2 percent of total defense spending.

Appropriately, Dayton's legislation coincides with the 44th anniversary of the nation's oldest federal agency dedicated to peace. On this day, in 1961, President Kennedy signed legislation that created the Peace Corps, an idea originally proposed by Senator Hubert Humphrey in 1957.

Hello Peace People of Wisconsin,

    This is great news. We have been waiting for some one to introduce the Department of Peace and Nonviolence legislation in the U. S. Senate.
 Let us thank Senator Dayton and the people of Minnesota who helped to make this possible.

    Let us now contact our own Senators and urge them to co-sponsor the Department of Peace and Nonviolence legislation. (S, 1756)

Senator Russ Feingold Senator Herb Kohl

La Crosse Office: La Crosse Office:

425 State St., Room 225 425 State St., Suite 202

La Cross, WI 54601-3341 La Crosse, WI 54601

(608-782-5585)
(608-796-0045)

Washington Office: Washington Office:

506 Hart Senate Office Building 330 Hart Senate Office Building

Washington DC, 20510-4904 Washington DC, 20510

(202-224-5323)
(202-224-5653)

 Hope to see many of you Saturday at the La Crosse Peace Rally.

Say Yes to Peace Rally

September 24, 2005, 5:00 PM to 9:00 PM

La Crosse, WI, Cameron Park (5th and King)

5:00 PM - Open Mic for Peace (audience invited to speak out for peace)

6:00 PM - Invited Speakers

7:00 PM - Candlelight Peace March

8:00 PM - Candlelight Vigil and Peace Sing

Speakers include:

Bethany Jacobson (Mom of Soldier recently returned from Iraq)

John Medinger, former Mayor of La Crosse

Reverend Daniel C. Bruch, retired Lutheran minister

Senator Russ Feingold (invited)

Sponsors:

La Crosse Coalition for Peace and Justice

La Crosse Chapter of Women in Black

UWL Chapter of Women in Black

Interfaith Peace and Justice Network

UWL Students for Peace

Viterbo Students for Peace

La Crosse Baha'i Group

La Crosse Green Party

UWL Green Bikes

Department of Peace, WI Congressional District 3 Chapter

This is a sister rally to the peace event in Washington, DC on September 24, 2005. Bring peace signs, candles, lawn chairs, flashlights. Water will be provided.

For more information contact Chris at createpeace@centurytel.net