RE: [eauclairewib] Leader Telegram

Wesenberg, Nancy Christine (WESENBNC@uwec.edu)
Wed, 8 Nov 2006 08:58:58 -0600

Subject: RE: [eauclairewib] Leader Telegram
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 08:58:58 -0600
From: "Wesenberg, Nancy Christine" <WESENBNC@uwec.edu>

Great argument about the t-shirt. N.W.

-----Original Message----- From: sfpj-request@listserve.uwec.edu
[mailto:sfpj-request@listserve.uwec.edu] On Behalf Of Preston-Simon, Elizabeth Sent: Tuesday, November 07, 2006 3:35 PM To: Weil, Michael R.; sfpj@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: RE: [eauclairewib] Leader Telegram

I just got off the phone with the general manager, L-T. Very defensive, explaining that the paid-for ad is clearly not endorsed by the L-T, spent a lot of time trying to convince me to see his point-of-view.

I asked him, if you met me at a beach party, and I was wearing a t-shirt that said "Bush-Cheney," would you think I was endorsing them? "Of course," he answered. To which I replied, "But, perhaps my sister handed me that shirt for the day because my luggage had been lost and it was the only extra one she had with her. Don't you see there is an implicit, spatial association between what is in a shirt and what a shirt says, even when there is no explicit endorsement?"

He had to admit that he did see that, and my name--as well as many others, which IS making the L-T uncomfortable, has been removed.

(I agree with others--we can view online, we can renew subscriptions later, we can purchase at stores or borrow from friends)

Now, I'm off to subscribe to the Pioneer Press Dispatch.

PS

-----Original Message----- From: sfpj-request@listserve.uwec.edu on behalf of Weil, Michael R. Sent: Tue 11/7/2006 12:41 PM To: sfpj@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: FW: [eauclairewib] Leader Telegram
  Still, is use of the sleeve with derogatory language ethical? I can't get on to today's online front page so don't know if the ad is appropriate or not.

        What if any difference is there in yesterday's sleeve and today's ad?

        How many people will have voted today before the online ad will be seen? The timing of yesterday's sleeve was intentional and low. Lots of research would have been done by the NRA and GOP to recognize the impact the sleeve would have on voters.

         Is the form in which the sleeve ad was used more egregious and derogatory? Do we want our local paper to become more responsible? It isn't about tit for tat but about mudslinging and ethics in advertising

        Mary Weil