Re: the New Iron Curtain

Kemp, Theresa D. (TKEMP@uwec.edu)
Tue, 6 Nov 2007 09:42:47 -0600

From: "Kemp, Theresa D." <TKEMP@uwec.edu>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 09:42:47 -0600
Subject: FW: the New Iron Curtain

Hi all, Some of you have been affected by this trend--I know Asha and I were thwart ed in our efforts a few years back to bring a scholar on campus because she
 was harrassed trying to enter the US, even though her visa was from Canada
.

--Theresa

________________________________ From: Cary Nelson, AAUP President [aaup-news@aaup.org] Sent: Tuesday, November 06, 2007 8:59 AM To: tkemp@uab.edu Subject: the New Iron Curtain

[http://www.aaup2.org/newsroom/newsletters/blueheader.jpg]

In spring 1983, just over two years into Ronald Reagan's first term as pres ident, I was in the midst of a complex ballet with the U.S. State Departmen t. My institution, the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, had invi ted the distinguished cultural studies and Marxist scholar Stuart Hall to t each a course and keynote a conference. He had just been told by the U.S. v isa office in London that they had no record of his application—an applic ation he had submitted three times. I scheduled a tentative interview with National Public Radio, then presented the State Department with a choice: i ssue the visa or listen to me discuss the situation on NPR. It issued the v isa. Those, apparently, were the innocent Reagan-era days when the State De partment could actually be embarrassed by bad publicity.

A quarter of a century later, in 2007, we are living in a very different wo rld. Our State Department is no longer subject to embarrassment on this iss ue. The atmosphere today is reminiscent of the Cold War, when the U.S. gove rnment regularly barred from the country visitors whose views it rejected. But Congress repeatedly restricted this power, first limiting exclusion to those presenting a genuine national security risk in 1977, then explicitly applying standards for constitutionally protected speech to foreign visitor s a decade later, finally shifting the focus for deportation and exclusion from beliefs to conduct in 1990.

As a result, for many years foreign scholars have given papers at conferenc es and taught at our colleges and universities. These interactions have adv anced knowledge across a whole spectrum of fields and strengthened our ties
 with other nations.

But for six years foreign scholars have frequently been denied entrance to the United States. Often they have been turned back after their planes have
 landed. Most had already visited here without incident. Some had done so a fter the 9/11 attacks; a number are graduates of U.S. institutions. Their s tated reasons for visiting have been both clear and legitimate.

Earlier this year, as AAUP president, I signed an extensive legal declarati on outlining the AAUP's consistently strong stand against the exclusion of foreign scholars for ideological reasons. For about two years we have been involved in litigation seeking to compel the government to admit Swiss Musl im scholar Tariq Ramadan to the country. His visa was revoked in 2004 as he
 prepared to take up a tenured appointment at the University of Notre Dame.
 Then he was denied a visa to address the AAUP annual meeting. The declarat ion I signed lists Michael Chertoff and Condoleezza Rice, respectively Secr etary of the Department of Homeland Security and Secretary of State, as def endants.

Usually no reasons are given for denying a visa. In Ramadan's case, as a re sult of our lawsuit, the government was compelled by a court to give an off icial explanation. It said Ramadan had provided "material support" to terro rists. The support? Donations that Ramadan had made to European Palestinian
-relief organizations which later gave money to Hamas. The idea that Ramada n could have anticipated later donations defies reason. Last month, the Ame rican Civil Liberties Union was once again pressing our case in federal cou rt. On October 25, an assistant U.S. attorney suggested that potential dono rs write to organizations specifying that no donations go to support terror ism. Suffice it to say I am not convinced that would prove effective.

Another suit involves South African scholar Adam Habib, who in 2006 was int ercepted at the airport and denied entry to the United States, where he was
 scheduled to meet with officers of the Social Science Research Council, Co lumbia University, the National Institutes of Health, and the World Bank. T he State Department subsequently revoked the visas of his wife and their tw o young children—an extraordinary step for which no explanation was given
. Contending that censorship at the border prevents U.S. citizens and resid ents from hearing speech that is protected by the First Amendment, the laws uit challenges his exclusion and contends that his exclusion violates the F irst Amendment.

On many other occasions the AAUP has written letters on behalf of excluded scholars. Sometimes our efforts and those of other academic organizations h ave succeeded in having travel restrictions against particular scholars lif ted, but the list of distinguished visitors <http://www.aaup.org/AAUP/pubsr es/academe/2007/SO/NB/excluded.htm> prevented from entering the country con tinues to grow.

Obviously we must bar entry to those presenting genuine threats to national
 security. But the government should not act as if we fear ideas almost as much as we fear bombs. As the ACLU put it, it sometimes seems we are fighti ng not so much a war of ideas as a war against ideas.

We urge all of you to write to your representatives in Washington to revers e this practice and let foreign scholars visit the United States. (If you a re not sure how to reach them, use the AAUP's lobbying tools.) <http://www. aaup.org/AAUP/GR/lobbytools/>

You may not agree with Tariq Ramadan or all of the other excluded scholars,
 but we hope you'll agree that the University of Notre Dame had a right to offer him a job, and the AAUP had a right to invite him to address our annu al meeting. Academic freedom embodies principles behind which all of us can
 unite.

Cary Nelson AAUP President

The AAUP Online is an electronic newsletter of the American Association of University Professors. Visit the AAUP Web site <http://www.aaup.org/AAUP>
. <http://lyris.eresources.com:81/t/1278103/1107223/390/0/>