Fw: Jail Thoughts

Mary Weil (mw2085@charter.net)
Thu, 14 Feb 2008 20:40:26 -0600

From: "Mary Weil" <mw2085@charter.net>
Subject: Fw: Jail Thoughts
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 20:40:26 -0600

I was asked to send this along from tonight's LT:

Ask voters about jail

      How many taxpayers in Eau Claire County are aware that their property taxes have increased because of a major expense the county has taken on without seeking the consent of the voters through a referendum? I am referring to the board's decision to proceed with the construction of a new jail. The proposal is to build a new jail east of the courthouse, extending along Ann Street, taking the properties on both sides of Ann Street out to First Avenue - and maybe more. The estimated cost of the building is $59.1 million. A recent land survey indicates that pilings will have to be built to support the building, which will certainly increase the cost. A more realistic estimate may be as high as
$100 million.

      For any project more than $60 million, there must be a referendum in which the voters can approve or disapprove of the expenditure. This project seems to be "flying under the radar" of voter review. We may, in fact, need a new jail, and it may have to be where it is proposed. However, I want to see voter review of such a major expenditure. Let the case be made in public through a referendum. Do not put this financial burden on the taxpayers without that referendum.

      I have heard that even the current estimated cost would increase our property tax by 14 percent annually over the next 30 years. We would not allow the school board to do this; we certainly should not allow the County Board to do it. Let's have full disclosure and voter review through a referendum.

      NICK SMIAR