Fw: county jail expansion

Mary Weil (mw2085@charter.net)
Thu, 14 Feb 2008 19:16:40 -0600

From: "Mary Weil" <mw2085@charter.net>
Subject: Fw: county jail expansion
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 19:16:40 -0600

Though we are a peace and justice organization, It is important that we be aware of the following:

Please make calls and send letters to city and county council members to stop the jail expansion on to Eau Claire's riverfront. A friend went to a meeting last Monday night about the looming jail expansion project, and what we can do to stop it. Eau Claire city councilmembers and County board members are planning on putting a huge jail on one of the nicest riverfront areas in the city, rather than promoting the area as a destination. It also may directly affect the future of Just Local Foods.

A group has formed, Citizens for Accountability in Jail Expansion
(http://eccaje.blogspot.com/), and we ask you to look at the website, become informed about this project that the county has put on the fast track, come to a meeting if you can (Monday, Feb. 18, 7pm, at 1st Congregational Church on the corner of 3rd and Broadway), and spread the word. And, please call all county board members and city council to let them know how you feel!

This is happening fast, and the County could potentially tell Just Local Foods to vacate in March.

Thanks for your attention.

Below is the response from Brandon Buchanan. Let's work together to defeat this zoning change!

------- From: Brandon Buchanan [buchanan.brandon@hotmail.com] Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2008 5:05 PM To: Weil, Michael R. Subject: RE: county jail expansion

Thank you for your letter. We spent over a year working on a Comprehensive Plan for our city, and now we want to throw all that work away just to add more riverfront jail space?!? Unfortunately, not all my colleges on council share your concern. The only chance we have to stop this is to get enough property owners around the affected area to sign an official protest petition. That will force the council into a super majority for any zoning change.

We might be able to swing four council votes to oppose the jail; however, there is no way we will swing six. I urge you to keep up your work on this in applying enough public pressure on council to swing a fourth vote and stop the zoning change that would allow the jail expansion.

- - - - - - - - - - Councilman Buchanan

-----