From this morning's LT

Kaldjian, Paul J. (KALDJIAN@uwec.edu)
Thu, 13 Mar 2008 08:22:54 -0500

From: "Kaldjian, Paul J." <KALDJIAN@uwec.edu>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 08:22:54 -0500
Subject: From this morning's LT

[cid:[cid:image001.gif@01C884E3.56A92F30] Updated: 3/13/2008

Clearing the shelves

County committee backs buying food co-op building

By Andrew Dowd

Leader-Telegram staff

An Eau Claire food cooperative likely will have to move for the third time in as many years because the county plans to buy its building to make it in to a parking lot for the new jail. The Administration Committee voted 4-0 Wednesday afternoon to recommend the
 county buy the building rented out to Just Local Food Co-Op, 772 First Ave
.
"Obviously, we're not going to kick them out the door at the time we purcha se the building," said Colleen Bates, a committee member and County Board v ice chairwoman. The county might serve as landlord for the cooperative for up to six months
 after buying the building from its current owners, Bates said. According to Eau Claire city land records, Chippewa Falls residents Gerald,
 Vernon and Carl Niblett own the building that includes the food cooperativ e. If the county rented out the building for longer than six months, Project M anager Frank Draxler said it would be required to pay relocation costs for tenants asked to leave if the building is torn down to make way for parking
. However, he said leaving the building standing temporarily is still an op tion.
"If we want to work with the renter or any business owners there, we can le ave that site alone," Draxler said. "We can find other parking for employee s." The food cooperative began renting the First Avenue store front after its p revious location at 104 Gibson St. was ruined by fire in April 2006. Aaron Ellringer, a co-owner of the food cooperative, could not be reached f or comment Wednesday evening. The food cooperative had been one part of the county's plans that drew oppo sition from groups of residents protesting the new jail. Before Wednesday's meeting, the store's fate had been unclear. The store ha d been labeled as a parking lot in some plan documents but left alone in ot her maps. County Board member John DeRosier, who represents downtown Eau Claire and p art of the East Hill neighborhood, said he has been questioned by Just Loca l patrons curious about the store's future.
"Face it, we're breathing right down their necks now," DeRosier told the Ad ministration Committee. The full County Board still has to vote on buying the land before the sale can go through. The board's next meeting is scheduled for Tuesday. The county and the Nibletts came to a price of $210,000 for the building oc cupying addresses 770 to 774 First Ave. Administration Committee members al so recommended Wednesday buying the home owned and occupied by Leo Court at
 719 Second Ave. for $165,000. Draxler said the price offered to each lando wner is $5,000 above the appraised value, so the county would not have to p ay for a second, possibly higher, appraisal the property owners are entitle d to request. Offers are pending for six other parcels within the county's plan for the n ew jail. After all the land is bought, Draxler said, the county will approach the ci ty, likely in May, for a rezoning request. Dowd can be reached at 833-9204, 800-236-7077 or Dowd can be reached at 833-9204, 800-236-7077 or andrew.dowd@ecpc.com.

image001.gif