Resources on How the Cost of Elections in the US Today Negatively Effects Their Fairness?

Nowlan, Bob (RANOWLAN@uwec.edu)
Mon, 25 Aug 2008 21:24:59 -0500

From: "Nowlan, Bob" <RANOWLAN@uwec.edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 21:24:59 -0500
Subject: Resources on How the Cost of Elections in the US Today Negatively Effects Their Fairness?

Here's something people might be able to do to help me out--if you'd like a nd if you are able:

Tentatively I'm slotted to speak at our CVCLU program on the 24th about how
 the cost of elections in the US today (negatively) effects their fairness.
  I don't consider myself one with particular expertise on this issue. All
 I know for sure is that they cost way too much, and much of the money spen t on them could--I believe should--be spent on far more useful--and far mor e progressive--ends. I also know that this cost makes it difficult for peo ple who aren't able to devote themselves full-time (and beyond) to run for office (especially at higher levels), and that the system is heavily biased
 toward those who can raise lots of money (and have it themselves to spend)
. I further know that this cost also means politicians spend huge percenta ges of their time focused on fundraising rather than other matters. And fi nally I know that I'd greatly prefer progressive public financing of electi ons--covering the total cost, with tight restrictions, tight limits, on how
/what this money can be used for--as well as equalized, and free, access to
 the public airwaves (which we, the people, should exercise effective owner ship over, even though we don't) for a wide range of candidates (far beyond
 Democrats and Republicans alone) to make their case. And that we could be nefit by working with a greatly shortened election season.

So, if people in sfpj have any resources you know about with useful progres sive perspectives--and facts--on how the cost of elections negatively affec ts their fairness to pass on to me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

Best,

Bob

-----Original Message----- From: Helland, Lois Ann Sent: Monday, August 25, 2008 7:55 PM To: Nowlan, Bob Subject: RE: A few announcements and an invitation

Thank you, Bob, for all you have done and continue to do! I am sorry this is not a year that I can put any more on my agenda - I hope some people ste p forward to help. Lois

________________________________________ From: sfpj-request@listserve.uwec.edu [sfpj-request@listserve.uwec.edu] On Behalf Of Nowlan, Bob [RANOWLAN@uwec.edu] Sent: Monday, August 25, 2008 4:00 PM To: Sfpj Subject: A few announcements and an invitation

Greetings, Friends, SFPJ:

    As the start of the fall 2008 semester rapidly approaches I thought tha t I would take the time to share with you a few announcements, and an invit ation, that you may find of interest.

    First, as I expect many if not most of you already know, Jeremy Gragert
, who has worked as an Americorp/Vista rep, based at UWEC, and working out of/in conjunction with the Center for Service Learning the past three years
, after completing his undergraduate degree at UWEC in history and journali sm, is now starting his first semester this fall as a graduate student at U W-LaCrosse. Jeremy was a phenomenal progressive organizer and activist in this area, and he will be greatly missed. Yet I am sure all those of you w ho know Jeremy and who have worked with him over the years agree with me in
 wishing him all the best for the greatest success in LaCrosse.

    Second, as of last spring the Progressive Media Outlook had to stop pro ducing _Progressive Outpost_. Not only did we run out of money, but it was
 too much for just two people to make happen, even when one was someone as tireless and talented as Jeremy. I'm glad we were able to publish what we did, I think it was a useful paper, and I'm sorry that it can't continue. But, in the future, if a critical mass of progressives here are interested in starting up a similar paper I'll be glad to assist.

    Third, after three consecutive successful years, the Eau Claire Progres sive Film Festival is going on hiatus for this academic year, and there won
't be a festival next spring. I am committed toward restarting the ECPFF i n the 2009-2010 academic year, but it is time to take a break so as to regr oup. We--including especially I--have spent a lot of money to help make it
 happen these past three years, and we need to replenish our financial mean s. Also, even more significantly, last year we were down to only six stude nts working toward helping put the Festival together. And that meant a gre at deal of work for John Nicksic (student director) and I. John has gradua ted and moved on, as of last spring, and together with him leaving Eau Clai re and UWEC, and Jeremy also, who always did a lot to make ECPFF happen, it
 would be way too much for me to handle this year; I need some time to recr uit new staff. Plus, for the first time in awhile I'll be teaching an uppe r level film class--in German Cinema--in the spring, and we will most likel y be taking a field trip/doing a special project around the time in which t he ECPFF would run. But look for ECPFF to return next year-in April of 201 0.

    As for the invitation, I'm currently faculty advisor at UWEC for the Pr ogressive Student Association, the Progressive Media Network (student branc h), Amnesty International, and ACLU-UWEC. I am glad to advise and assist t hese organizations, and plan to continue doing so. However, over the cours e of the past three years Jeremy Gragert acted as a de facto associate advi sor for these organizations--and having someone like that, or a co-faculty- advisor, I think would be especially useful given the fact that my teaching
 and meeting schedule is filled Monday through Thursday late afternoons and
 early evenings, as well as Friday mid-afternoon (all the most common times
 for student organizations to hold meetings). Of course often student orga nizations will make progress or not regardless of what level of contact wit h and input from a faculty advisor they maintain. Yet, if any of you out t here are potentially interested in joining me as co-advisor any of these or ganizations, I'm sure it would only end up being helpful to the students. So let me know if you are interested, or even if you want to ask some quest ions and think about this further before committing to it.

    Finally, in closing, I want to call your attention early on to the fact
 that the Chippewa Valley Chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union of Wisconsin is planning to hold its annual program, focusing on 'Fair and Unf air Elections', tentatively scheduled for the evening of Wednesday Septembe r 24, here at UWEC, room and specific time to be announced. More details w ill follow soon.

Best,

Bob Nowlan