September events and request for input and help

Pope, Karen O. (POPEKJ@uwec.edu)
Wed, 27 Aug 2008 11:23:59 -0500

From: "Pope, Karen O." <POPEKJ@uwec.edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 11:23:59 -0500
Subject: September events and request for input and help

Dear SFPJ:

I have a few September events to pass along and a request for your help. After the May SFPJ meeting it seems SFPJ might focus on 2 initiatives this year:
        creating a UWEC Sister University through Sami Rasouli’s Muslim P eacemaker’s Team contacts, and

        holding a fall forum or event focusing on Healthcare NOT Warfare in
 October before the national election. Ideas generated so far include a bl ood, bone marrow or registry event in coordination with a roundtable of spe akers about the healthcare crisis and ways to address local needs, particul arly highlighting minority and low-income /uninsured inequities.

Could we plan an early September SFPJ meeting to discuss this?? Such an ev ent/forum or roundtable could be announced throughout September and on the SFPJ Web site.

Here are September events so far:

EAU CLAIRE SEPTEMBER 14TH 1-5 PM VOICES FOR PEACE EVENT http://www.voicesforpeaceinstitute.org/

Nancy Wesenberg sent a few announcements last spring about a newly formed g roup in Eau Claire, Voices for Peace Institute. I attended their planning potluck in July on behalf of SFPJ and volunteered that we would have a tabl e at the SEPTEMBER 14T PHOENIX PARK community peace and justice event. The
 day is intended to highlight all the community efforts dedicated to local,
 regional and national peace and justice efforts. I figured someone from S FPJ might be willing to staff the table and that we could share past effort s, including the IRAQ teach-in materials and the Eberth Alarcon annual Peac e & Justice lecture series and any future plans we come up with before then
.. It could be as simple as setting up and running the DVD that Community TV made of the Sami Rasouli presentation last April. Would anyone free on Sunday Sept 14th and willing to sit at a table there f or part of the afternoon please respond to Karen at popekj@uwec.edu?

SEPTEMBER 15TH WHEELS OF JUSTICE BUS VISITS UWEC Nonviolent education and action The Wheels Bus will be at Phoenix Park for the event on the 14th and then I
’ve booked the PRESIDENT’S ROOM from NOON – 1 PM for the WHEELS speak ers on behalf of SFPJ (no cost to us except advertising; we have a campus a ccount now to book space! (thanks, Marty). They wish to leaflet and engage
 students for an hour before the presentation and to speak to classes, perh aps one in the morning and one in the afternoon. If you have a Monday morn ing or afternoon class and you want them to speak, please let Karen know at
 popekj@uwec.edu I would like to request that student groups you advise cosponsor this. Here is a little about the BUS and at least 2 of the participants. Palesti nian speakers’ bios will be coming soon: http://www.justicewheels.org/

Having seen and lived with war, terror and occupation in Iraq and Palestine
, participants in the Wheels of Justice offer first-hand experience irrespe ctive of partisan politics and sound bite sloganeering. The Wheels of Justi ce Tour canvasses the United States with education, outreach, training, act ive non-violent resistance, and network/community-building.

Iraq Speaker Paul Melling, 27, is a member of Iraq Veterans Against the War. September o f 2002 he enlisted in the army and started training as a field artillery ca nnon crewmember. From February 2003 to January 2004 he was deployed to a sm all forward operating base near Kirkuk, Iraq. After returning from Iraq he finished up his time in the army and was honorably discharged in June of 20 06; he has been an Iraq Veteran Against the War ever since.

Bus Manager Josh Brollier, 25, is currently living in Clarksville, TN with his wife Abb y, working as a guitar instructor at a local music store. He has worked wit h refugees from Afghanistan, Sudan, and Somalia while living in Memphis. He
 has also spent three months in Zimbabwe in 2004 working with youth orphane d from AIDS. He studied African and Latin American history at the Universit y of Memphis and has been involved in various positions working with youth since he graduated in 2006. Josh has previously been involved with civil di sobedience and counter recruitment as he’s strongly opposed to the wars i n Iraq and Afghanistan.

MADISON/ BARABOO SEPTEMBER 6TH
        FightingBobFest http://www.fightingbobfest.org/index.cfm

Seventh Annual event features speakers Scott Ritter and Phil Donohue and Ji m Hightower. Bus leaves from Chippewa Falls At 5:30 am and the State Theater in EC at 6 am

To reserve a seat on the bus going from this area, please contact the Eau C laire Democratic Headquarters at laire Democratic Headquarters at ecdems@charterinternet.com. Your request should include in the subject line: Carolyn Dunning - BUS.

other bits:

EC COUNTY JAIL CONSTRUCTION STALLED/STOPPED? Lastly, I am SO IMPRESSED at the local efforts to question the jail locatio n and costs and want to say WAY TO GO to those of you who worked long and h ard on this effort to hold local government accountable and responsive. Co uld anyone who worked on this give the group an update??

Thanks for reading all this.

Karen

Karen Osborne Pope Associate Professor Emerita, McIntyre Library University of WI - Eau Claire contact: popekj@uwec.edu 715 529 0272